ZTR vs. conventional on wet ground ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by groundpounder_900, Mar 11, 2008.

1. groundpounder_900

groundpounder_900 LawnSite Member

Are the commercial ZTR's prone to getting "stuck" in wet ground vs. the 4 wheel tractors ?
  2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

If it is muddy enough to get a ZTR stuck then it will also hang up a 4 wheel tractor. If the tractor is 4X4 then you have a little better chance of not getting stuck . Lets face it here. The key is to try and avoid that situation because no matter what you use its going to F up the turf and thats a big no no.
  3. tyaroch

tyaroch LawnSite Member
    from MI

The front tires do not have as much floatation on a Z as they do on a regular tractor type. Just my thoughts.
  4. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

If its to wet, don't mow. That should be common sense for most people. I'm not saying if the lawn is wet don't mow but if its saturated all your going to do is tear up the lawn. We all have to mow when its wet sometimes especially during the spring you just have to use good judgment and explain your reasoning to your customer. I sure they would rather wait another day or so than to have their lawn ruined.
  5. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

Well I can relate to the original poster. I was mowing a lawn last year around this same time. The front yard and back yard was very firm, didn't lose any traction the whole time. This lawn had another piece of land right beside of it. So after I done the main lawn I started over on the other. Man, bad mistake, but I didn't know what was there. They had their exit water from their washing machine going out to a ditch (a lot of folks does this around here). I guess the pipe had busted and cause a very big wet place. Needless to say once i got close to the spot I was stuck. I felt the rear wheels sliding. I tried to power out of it by just going full sticks. Hmmm didn't help. Thank god I had my Cub Cadet on the trailer too. It has ag tires on it and it pulled me out. Thing is I finished that spot with the Cub and didn't have no problems.

Subject of this story is, and I'm sorry it was long, that ZTR's weight distribution is heavy in the rear. It doesn't do well in soggy conditions. My Cub Cadet belly mower does great in those conditions.

Hope this answers some of your doubt. I like having both on the trailer.
  6. Razorblades

Razorblades LawnSite Senior Member

It might not make much difference on soggy level ground, but when mowing along or in drainage ditches my tractor style mower (Ingersoll 4020) will mow them without much problems whereas my ZT Lastec mower will get stuck.
  7. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

It depends on which z you are running. and which tractor style mower you are running. I have used both husqavarna and exmark z/s as well as cub cadet tractors and craftsman tractors. I will tell you this much if all are set up with turf tires and the ground is soggy enough they will all get stuck. I believe the husqavarn would stick first then the craftsman next would be the cub and last to get stuck would be the exmark. I believe this to be all do to weight disribution for the mowers. I cann also tell you a z will get unstuck faster with an experienced operator than a tractor. The reason is you can adjust power to the wheels on the z and wiggle it out where as the tractor is set up like a limited slip rear on a car and once one wheel starts spinning it is all over.