ZTR V's Outfront (JD1445/1565 & others)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by aussiegreg, May 24, 2005.

1. aussiegreg

aussiegreg LawnSite Member

G'day Lawnies,

I am a contractor in Australia and currently run a Toro Z597 ZTR and a large part of my work involves overgrown properties, wheere the grass is at least 1 mostly 2 feet high or more. Whilst the Toro can do it it is very slow ( highest deck height of 5 inches)and am after a more appropriate machine. I am still after a mower as a Tractor/slasher combination is too big and heavy for traileering.

I am considering an outfront mower as I feel that with the ability of the deck to be raised to about 18 inches it means that you can skim the top and then come back around on a 2nd pass and bring it down to say 4-6 inches. The outfront will still give a good cut, be very manouverable and as it only weighs 1000kg (2200lbs) and the Toro ZTR weighs 760kg (1600lbs?) I can easily trailer them both together with our smaller Aussie 4WD's.

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with outfront's especially if they run ZTR's as well. I need a 2nd machine as I will employ someone but if all my properties were under 1 foot high I would just get another ZTR. But I need that high lifting deck.

Also which is a smoother ride outfront or ZTR

I am looking at JD 1445 & 1565, New Holland MC35, Kubota's & Iseki SF333.

Thanks Mates

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like you need a hay cuttin rig.
  3. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I guess I don't understand using a grooming mower to mow such a coarse and basic mow down that needs a bush hog or flail mower pulled on a 3 point hitch. It seems like a real abuse of fine cutting equipment.
  4. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

A compact tractor and 5 ft bushhog would weigh less than 3400 lbs( same as 2 large ztr's) and could cut 2 ft high grass with ease. I regularly bushhog grass and weeds that are higher than the hood of my tractor( John Deere 4700/48 hp and 6 ft bushhog). At 4 mph I can clear about 2 acres per hour. also I can run all day on 6 or 7 gallons of diesel. My 24 hp honda burns more gas than that.
  5. aussiegreg

aussiegreg LawnSite Member

I think that the point is being missed, on occasions I need to mow down 2-3 foot of grass but majority is 1 foot or less. I wish to take 2 mowers out on a job without the expense of 2 vehicles and trailers. I can only tow 2500kg ie Toro Z597 780kg an outfront 1000kg and a trailer weighs at least 700kg. A Tractor weighs 1700kg and a slasher is say 400kg. See my problem.

Also in Australia a Toro z597 costs $24,000 and a John Deere 1445 costs $34,000. We only make same money as you guys but pay twice the money for equipment.

American manufacturers freak out when they hear that our typical acreage lawns have sticks and stones on them.

A bush hog is not an option at moment and on the demos that I have done with a JD and a New Holland outfront you can lift ya deck up to 18 inches and skim the top and gradually bring it down and at the end of the day you still have a machine that can give a quality cut and not tear up and compact a lawn like a bush hog.

6. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

these guys have no clue as to what our industry is about, they talk finish mowers, turf etc, it just isn't like that in the ride on industry here, we do have to use mowers as 'bush hogs', that is just the way it is....see, we get lucky to be invited to jobs where clients present us with jungles, and want a lawn in return for the cheapest price....it stinks, but that's the way it is.

Cutting 1 to 2 foot grass isn't wrecking a mower, you can mow anything if you let the machine chew through it at it's most appropriate speed. sensibly cutting long grass is different from racing in and flogging it to death...

I'm finding myself in a similar situation Greg, keen on the new J.D diesel with rear discharge perhaps, or the new holland if I could afford one lol.

I'm waiting on feedback re the new hustlers rear discharge deck as hustler say it is great in the rough stuff, but getting tired of waiting!

I just want a mower that can do light slashing, no windrows, and good on parks etc....

About the tractor ideas....we need to cut long grass and leave it nice, windrows are not on in many cases...unless a mid size tractor with a finish slasher is worth thinking about...but council wouldn't like that turning up to mow a park lol.

I hope you get some good feedback mate....gotta remember a lot of guys here would die of shock if they saw what a ZTR is required to do in this country! lol.
  7. Distorted

Distorted LawnSite Gold Member

My Hustler dealer tried to sell me one of these that he was having trouble getting rid of with a diesel, 60 inch fail deck and a stump grinder for $15000 . I do not know whether the fail mower would be an advantage or disadvantage in the heavy stuff, but I see it comes in a bunch of other variations too. I am impressed with the Hustler line, and am still considering their Super Z 72" diesel for myself.
  8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The newer JD Front runners are nice. I ran the older F-935's. They were built well. But with only 22hp, long grass would bog it down pretty good. Now that they have the 7 iron deck, they should cut pretty well, mine did not.

You'll be going with a shaft driven machine which will last longer when doing thick stuff vs belt.

Though, if your doing 1 acre residential lawns, a ZTR will blow the JD away when it comes to cut and speed.
  9. steinerguy

steinerguy LawnSite Member

I run a Steiner brand unit here with a 60" front deck, Kubota diesel engine. With the 2 wheel drive unit and 28 hp, it can be considered for your needs. I run one here and the vast majority of the people on this site have no idea what I have or why. It is a unit to consider. See Steinerturf.com
  10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Does Steiner market down under?