ZTR vs tractor type

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by glenspot, Sep 7, 2004.

1. glenspot

glenspot LawnSite Member

OK, this may seem to be the most BASIC of questions....

I do a couple of lawns with an OLD craftsman 36" rider, a basic 21" walk-behind, string trimmer and blower.

But i can't seem to get it to look the way I want. Whether its going around tree's or dealing with the edge of properties...where I need to turn around and come back the other way.

The pattern I leave sucks.

i was looking at some striping pictures on here and they just look so perfect. I mean, it looks like the lawn mower went right through the tree/shrub/masonry, etc.

I'd love someone to point me to a thread, or walk me through some of the basic steps.

Glen

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Glen, with that equipment esp if it is old as you said you just may not be able to leave the nice stripes as most of us are doing because we are using much better and more expensive equip than you are and many won't even respond on here to you because with that equip they will see you as a certain word that is tossed around on this site a lot and not a true LCO.

What may help you if you do not want to buy and make a striping kit for the mowers is to make sure that you have very sharp blades and lift the deck if possible and turn off the blades when turning and your deck and blades is where your striping will come from.

3. Ability

Ability LawnSite Member

Just like MM said it is in the equipment. To do a proper job you really need proper equipment.

A guy I know has a very expensive tractor mower but could not figure out why it would not leave the same look as my mower. He thought I had a big secret. I said there are many tricks to the trade but so much of the "tricks" is in the equipment.

4. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

Striping is really not limited to high end machines. Some high end machines will stripe better with no additional attachments. Some add rollers to get a better stripe. You dont even need a mower to really stripe. YOu could use a roller filled with water and stripe(not that you would want to)...

A lot of people have designed different types of rollers that would stripe well on your mower. The main difference with the high end mowers would be quantity and quality of cuts and durability of the machine

5. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Exactly. Striping is just the laying down of grass in difference directions. Had nothing to do with an actual mower. I could go out there with a paint roller and press down on the grass really hard and role the grass.

It's not rocket science.

6. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

If you are only doing 1/2 acre lots, you may just consider buying a used walk behind with a sulky. My be the better way to go.

7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

And as I said earlier without a striping kit it is the blades turning and the deck that is laying it down.