ZTR Walkthrough??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by grassmanak, May 15, 2006.

1. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious how you run a Zero turn, is it pretty easy?? I finally have money for one, and plan on going to the dealer this weekend to buy one, but dont want to look like a total tool. Any input??

2. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

I felt the same way but it took about 5 minutes to figure it out. Sometimes I still turn the wrong way lol. They are easy to operate. don't worry!

3. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

go to the dealer for a test drive, and just let the dealer demo it for you for the first few minutes.

4. MowForLess

MowForLess LawnSite Member

Practice on your own lawn before cutting someone elses....Just watch the grass wad up under the rear tire the first time you make a 180 degree turn. he he he nothing a little grass seed and water won't fix...but your customer may not feel the same way!

5. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

I'd actually say practice in an open parking lot with lots of room until you get the feel for it. Then begin to watch your tires as you pivot around and get the wheels moving to the point they don't leave a skid mark on the pavement when you turn it. then you're ready for grass. I'd say no more than a half hour of practice for most will yield a working familiarity.

6. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

When you turn, turn on a hard surface if possible such as a driveway or sidewalk or the street. When you turn on the grass do a three point turn and remember not to decellerate too quickly or you'll tear out patches of grass. Stay off of steep banks and avoid mud like the plague. Carry a come-a-long and a chain in your truck just in case you get stuck.

7. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

Cool, sounds like some good info, tearing the grass was one of the things I was conserned about, i guess ill do about of practicing in my own yard first, and learn it a bit.