1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ZTR Wheel Weight? Pros & Cons.!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by qualitylawncare1, Jan 25, 2008.

1. qualitylawncare1

qualitylawncare1 LawnSite Member
    from East TN

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to put liquid weight (calcium, methanol) in the rear wheels my 737 John Deere. What I am after is to keep it from sliding in the rear when on a hill sideways.....I am also wanting it to put more traction down when turning rather than spinning one tire. Lets hear the pros and cons of this as I have not done it yet. The local tire shop that does this says it will gain 70lbs. per tire. Thanks
  2. hydro drive

hydro drive LawnSite Member

Con 140 extra pounds means high pressures in your Hydro drive

More weight equals lower bearing life on your axle bearings.

How about getting bar type tires instead?
  3. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

i agree you don't want extra stress on your you hydro drive also you have to worry about voiding your warranty. I find with my mower the only time I'm slipping is because its a bit damp out or I'm just trying to take too much of and incline
  4. verant

verant LawnSite Senior Member

this may also compact the grass and dirt more, especially on tender grounds
  5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Just to give you a heads up.... you will never get a straight answer out of this.
    Trust me I know.

I don't know... it's one of those old fashioned ******** things... or very much like one.

What I mean is... everyone will tell you not to load your tires... when the tires are loaded in many other things. While 70 lbs per tire, right down where the traction is would probably help... they will scold you about adding 140 lbs to your machine.

Funny part is, some of these same people telling you this may possibly weigh 140 lbs more than you in body weight.

And what is even funnier is these same people will tell you not to put 140 lbs in your tires.
    Destroy the hydros...

But those same people will turn right around and tell you it's OK to TOW thosands of pounds behind your ZTR... aerators, spray rigs, trailers, stuck mowers, and even stuck trucks.

I for one wish the hydro mfg's were sponsors here so they could clear this matter up.
    I'm sure there is a certain weight rating... and beyond that you are on your own for repairs.

I'd love to fill my tires and could care less about towing.
    But since BDP stands for Bantam Duty Pump.... well I am afraid to do either... lol...
  6. hydro drive

hydro drive LawnSite Member

More weight what it means by the hydro's

= higher torques
    = higher pressures
    = more heat
    = higher stress

What kills a hydro the quickest higher pressures, heat and stress. So putting more weight on the drive tires you are going to reduce the life of your hydro system.

Yes you can pull trailers and trucks or what ever you want but you are killing the hydro faster than you would with normal mowing. Not to mention your factory warranty.

Then there is axle bearings. These machines with baggers can weigh up to 2000 lbs plus. The life of the axle bearings take in many different inputs with one being weight on drive wheels. Add weight and the bearings do not last as long if the machine was weighted down.
  7. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

You will not get any of what you are looking for by making your tires heavier...
    Run the mower manufacturer's recommended pressure in you tires (or about 2 psi lower for better comfort) and you should be fine.
  8. kelleys lawn&landscape

kelleys lawn&landscape LawnSite Member

Try A Set Of Carsile Power Trac Tires I Run Them On Front Mount Only 5 Psi I Run Mine At 3 Tire Says 5 Max. I Rarely Slide And Never Get Stuck.
  9. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

It won't be good for the hydros. You can mess up the hydros by running a lot of hills in the same direction. If you happen to always have one particular tire to the downside of the hill, that hydro will burn out faster.