ZTR's affectiveness ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bunton Guy, Nov 20, 2001.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been thinking about a rider. Are they really effective at there high speeds like 8-15 mph can you do a nice cut at those speeds or are those mostly transportation speeds ? I had though about switching from gear drive walk behinds to 1 36" walk behind 52" hydro and a 61" rider....sounds great and all but if you cant cut at a high rate of speed then they arent any better because sitting down all day will hurt your back. So in all honesty can you really cut at those high rates of speed. Almost sounds like its better to stick with standers and walk behinds.

2. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Definately recommend z's. You have to look on the specs if it says mowing speeds or moving/trans. speed. Generally, the speed won't be dramatically different, still lightening fast! I think they still have a good quality of cut at those high speeds.

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

its my opinion that a z will completely alter your mowing operation. more than speed will be factors.
    i shouldnt talk u into it, as it will just add to those who can compete on my level or better. but ,might as well tell u the truth.
    as i see it anyway. later now

4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

This has been discussed alot here and it has alot to do with what types of properties you take care of. You certainly aren't going to have a fleet of ZTR's when all you do is mow 4000 square foot properties. It is going to depend on what machine is going to be suited for the jobsite. I started this year with a ZTR and a 21 inch mower. All my properties suit this equipment and I will continue to pursue this type of property. I don't know who tells you your back is going to hurt from sitting all day, mine never hurts. Everyone probably will respond physically different though. I have some big properties and cut them with a 60" Lazer. The areas and conditions vary greatly and not real often can I cut full throttle. Sometimes, but not always. I would guess more like 7 or 8 miles an hour. I would never be able to cut at 15 with a Hustler or Dixie. Between the rough conditions and the fact the fricken' grass grows so much in between cuts, it just isn't happening.

5. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Ya.....uh huh..........ouch..........my back kills me after a long day on that fluffy seat.;)

I would think your knees and feet would hurt after being on them all day.

Time is money, always has been and always will. If your cutting 2 acre properties like you mentioned in that other post then yes, I would say riding (at any speed) would be better than walking. If your niche is smaller stuff then stick with what works.

6. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

I had been running WB for seven years until last Wednesday. Now I have a Turf Tiger and can't believe the difference. The first day I used it was the easiest day of work I've ever had. Since I was using it only for leaves it was even better because I could reverse through the yard and keep the leaves on one side but mow both ways across the yard. The cut was also much better, the only drawback that I have found is that you have to be much more careful on the lawn when turning around because a 1100lb machine with 170lb operator can be much more destructive than a 350lb WB. So to make a long story short after switching one week ago is that now I can do those 14hour days in the summer like it is nothing now compared to standing up all day. That is where the real productivity comes from, when the others are at home too tired and your still rolling.

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

A good winter project is to go and get to know a couple of local dealers and tell them that you are looking to demo a Z when your season starts next year. Spring is the best time to see how well the Z will work for you as the grass is growing like craZy.

Its up to you to figure out how big of a mowing deck you need and if the Z will work for you as Randy stated.

Now for the big decision, there are Z's of differing quality as many are great for speed, but some have a great cut in wet grass, some have great mulch kits, some have excellent bagging capabilities, some are easy to work on, and the list goes on and on.

I wish I had enough money to buy one of each (mayby minus a few) because there isn't any one that can do it all for me so I do the best I can with the mowers that fit my properties the best. Good Luck.

8. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Mow ed. I had demoed 3 riders this year the Hustler Z 61" Great Dane Chariot 52" and the Bunton 71" Diesel...liked them all but none of them could cut at full speed. I had to go maybe 5-7 mph to get a cut as good as my w.b

9. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I'm running a 52" Toro Gear Drive......

If I could afford a Z, I'd be using a Z !! :cry:

10. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I feel double blades helps a lot in cutting fast. It gives the added lift to get the grass up to cut it off cleanly even at high speeds. I have some lawns that are smooth enough to cut wide open. In the spring, I will have to slow down a bit when it grows like crazy, or just cut it wide open and then cut it a second time at the opposite direction if it has grown so much you have excessive clippings.

I agree there are some lawns that you will never be able to cut wide open with the faster ZTR's, since they are just to darn rough.