ZTR's...AM I MISSING SOMETHING?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by iski3d, Apr 24, 2001.

1. iski3d

iski3d LawnSite Member
    from NH

WHAT IS SO GREAT ABOUT A ZTR? I HAVE A NEW FERRIS 61" DD HYDRO WALKBEHIND WITH A VELKI AND I CANT SEE GAINING MUCH, IF ANYTHING, BY USING A 61 ZTR. SO WHY DO SO MANY PEOPLE LIKE THEM? I PAID $5,100 FOR MY MACH WITH THE 23 HP KAWI, WHICH IS PRETTY MUCH THE SAME SETUP YOU WOULD FIND ON A ZTR, FOR ABOUT 3 GRAND LESS. WALKBEHINDS ARE ALSO ABLE TO MOW UNDER TREES AND IT CAN CUT SIDEWAYS OR UP AND DOWN STEEP HILLS WITH NO PROBLEM. SO WHATS SO SPECIAL ABOUT ZTR's?

2. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

... on how lazy you are. I have a ztr and I like it, it gives me a good few minutes in between all the real work. That said, I think the next mower that I get will be a WB b/c I need s/t better for hills.

3. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

I've never used a walk-behind, but I've never seen one mow at 9 mph either. A good ztr will mow circles around a walk-behind and I'm pretty sure it would be alot more comfortable. Just my opinion.

4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

ztr doesnt wreck your knees as much. my scag walkbehind can mow around 7 mph. you may need to jog with it though. ztrs offer a comfort level. sit instead of stand. is it worth a few grand? depends i guess, but my new exmark beats walking or standing.

5. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

How have you found it to be on hills? Is there a ztr that can ride hills sideways, and do it well?

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

If you are asking this question, you probably have never used a ZTR. A Velke will beat you to death compared to a ZTR. Also the heavier the ZTR, the smoother the ride. My diesel Chopper has an unreal ride. I didn't realize just how good the ride was until I mowed today with the older Chopper that is much lighter.

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

im thinking about some sort of wt. for the front of my lazer.this thing goes strait up an down hills better than a lt. i was on a bank today that had the front end skipping
    up an down. but it holds traction pretty good.
    front wts would be necessary though. i dont need this thing laying on top of me.later on

8. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I welded a 1 1/4" reciever hitch on the front of my diesel Chopper that I use for my electric spreader, dethatcher, and what ever else I end up using it for. I could also make a weight bracket to hang 1 or 2 suitcase weights on it. It would be an easy way to quickly add weight to yours too. Just slide the bracket into the receiver, put in 1 pin and add the weight and your off. :)

9. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Scag Sthm 61 similiar to your Ferris only with a seat.Its great for under trees and sides of hills. If
    I need more traction winch the front slightly. Working on a baffle from a Husky ridr. Still waiting for grass to try it

10. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

iski3d, I'm sure the 61" walk behind is a great machine, but when mowing large open areas a ZTR is a must. My mowers will cut great at full speed (10 mph). Just think how long it would take and how tired you would be after cutting several hours non stop with a 61" walkbehind. for thirty minute stops I can see where a walk behind would be good. But if you are going to mow for several hours straight, how could a walk behind be better than riding. I'm not downing you I'm just trying to give you some perspective on why a ZTR is better than a walk behind.

BTW, Please feel out you profile so we can know how to answer you questions more efficiently.

[Edited by Ssouth on 04-24-2001 at 10:16 PM]