ztrs avg life span

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bababooie, Aug 9, 2002.

1. bababooie

bababooie LawnSite Member

what is the avg. life span of a either a riding ztr,or wb ztr:blob4:

2. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

There is no such thing as a Walk-behind ZTR. ZTR means Zero-Turn rider, and it would not be a Walk-behind if you road on it. In order to do an actual zero radius turn one wheel must be able to travel forward while the other travels backward.

Wait- Actually there is one. DR mowers makes a convertible mower which you can walk behind, and then move the levers to the front and ride on it...very rare.

Anyway, now that we clarified the terminology. On average the motors last anywhere from 1800-3000 hours. This is on an Air-cooled engine. I suppose a Water-Cooled would last longer and a Diesel will last even longer than that.
    If you maintian the frame it should last forever. So worst case you replace an engnie, bearings, belts, pumps etc.

3. m&m

m&m LawnSite Member

are you aure it dont stand for ZERO TURN RADIUS?

4. m&m

m&m LawnSite Member

not to mention , dont the hydro walk behinds operate like the riders......one wheel this way and one wheel that way when turning?

5. Jimbo

M&M,

I dont think it means Zero-turn-radius. I have never seen a WB advertised as a ZTR, so I am pretty sure it means rider. Or maybe it does mean radius and like I said WB's dont Zero turn.

Maybe someone else can clarify.

And, as far as I know the WB hydros free wheel when you pull in the lever. In order to make a "real" Zero turn the one wheel must turn backwards while the opposite wheel turns forward. Like on a ZTR when you push one lever forward and pull the other backward.

Jim

6. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I think it does mean radius

Proper maintenance.. 2500-3000 hours

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It does stand for "radius".

The lifespan of mowers is all over the place. The Dixie Choppers with the extra filters are probably the longest lasting gas powered mowers you can buy. There are a lot of Dixies out there with in excess of 4,000 hours.

But like Tom said, 2,500 to 3,000 hours is probably the average.

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

My WB Zero turn Just Like The rider's Do.

9. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

My wb is a ztr too.
    How do you get them to go backwards if they freewheel?
    You musv'e bought a budget model.

10. Jimbo

John/ Axman

What models do you have? Are they advertised as ZTR's? I have never seen one advertised like that.

Axman- I didnt say that it doesnt have a reverse. Does your mower have a lever for reverse? Or how does it work?

Please educate me.

Jim