ZTRs matting grass?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HLM86, Aug 31, 2005.

1. HLM86

HLM86 LawnSite Member

I was looking at mowers the other day and my dealer told me that more and more customers are starting to complain about the weight of the big Z mowers matting the grass down. The dealer suggested I look at a walk behind. Anybody having a lot of complaints about your Z matting the grass?
  2. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

No...none at all.
  3. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

not on our walkers. everyone around here is switching to walkers cause customers like the look they leave.
  4. HLM86

HLM86 LawnSite Member

Most people here use exmarks or toros. I was told a lot of guys are going to just using several w/b instead of the big mowers.
  5. Rebel

Rebel LawnSite Member

Yes, we service about 70 yards and out of them all we have about 20 yards that our Z is matting the grass and starting to leave rut like depressions. We have three WB and One Wright Sentar Sport and these do a better job on the residential yards.

Alot more compaction issues also! :dizzy:
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I see this happening in our commericial properties and I would definitely expect it on small residential properties. It is almost impossible to avoid running the machine in the same path each time, especially on a 9K size yard with a 2K size house. Maybe some grass types do better than others but we see it mainly in bermuda. The St. Augustine seems to stand the heavy weight better, unless it is very dry then the big machine leaves ugly dead track. When properties are big enough to mow with different patterns then I expect the results would not be bad. In our area there are very few yards big enough to do that even on commericial.
  7. waffletown20

waffletown20 LawnSite Member
    from PA

I notice some matting when the grass is wet and flimsy but as long as you change your mowing directions Z's are fine. With smaller properties you might be more productive on a small property though.
  8. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I have one yard that no matter what, I have to run down the edge a certain way to get a clean cut. One the rest of the lawn, I vary my pattern every week so the rest is fine. The edge is where it's matted, but not so anyone but a person who does lawns will notice.