ZTR's & Spinning Tires

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by msd_woody, Aug 10, 2001.

1. msd_woody

msd_woody LawnSite Member

Just recently bought a 1990 Ransomes Lynx XT2000. It's a ZTR with a rear grass collector similar to a Walker. Works great except for one thing that may be my fault. Everytime I make a 180 degree turn, the inside tire stays stationary and tears the grass up. Since this is my first ZTR, is there something wrong that I am doing? Do all machines do this? Or is it something that older machines do. I have tried moving the levers in different postions - 1 slightly forward, 1 all the way forward - 1 in neutral, 1 forward - 1 in reverse, 1 forward. No matter what combination I use, I can't seem to elimate the problem. By the way, I just paid $1000 for it and for the money, it's a great machine compared to the cost of a new one. If you take the time to look around, there are good deals to be found. If anyone in my area need help mowing on weekends, I'll be glad to help. You just have to be able to tolerate bare spots of ground at the end of each pass!

Matt

2. HOWARD JONES

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

There is probably nothing wrong or different about your machine - there have been discussions about this before - you may want to do some searches. My explanation (different from everyone else, as usual) is this: your machine tries to zero-turn at a point close to the rear axle; you either have to develop a technique which has one tire going slightly backwards, or let the deck get slightly past the object (tree, etc.), then the inside tire can roll around the object rather than pivot sitting still. Hope this makes sense. Also, if there is no "object" but you are just doing a 180 to come back, try stopping, then wheels in opposite directions; both will be rolling.

3. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

keep one wheel moving faster than the other, it won't tear it up but it will still turn