Ztr's Vrs Wb's ???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mowjoeman, Apr 7, 2004.

1. mowjoeman

mowjoeman LawnSite Member

I have heard the arguments about running ztr vrs wb's but it seems to me that owning and running two new wb's w/sulky's beats running 1 new ztr 52 inch cut? any feedback apreciated - mowjoeman

2. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

if you are asking whether or not a ztr is twice as fast as a w/b the answer in most cases is no.

3. mowjoeman

Hey Charlie, Thanks for the reply - no what i'm saying is that you can buy two wb's for the same money you would spend on One Brand New say exmark 52 inch cut ztr? Only have two wb's with sulkys - right or wrong brand new of coarse? Thanks Joe

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

In florida you have berms, In Connecticut we have hills. We also have large yards and smaller front yards. We have to be able to cut the hills and do the larger open areas as well so we need the two.
    John

lazer&tracer resized.jpg

5. mowjoeman

Hey thanks john for the reply - i wish i new what a berm was though? i don't have a any commercial work to speak of yet and most of my residentials acc't are 1/4 acre's or less with a few a little a larger. what i wanted to know was is it wise to buy to wb's because of the price instead of buying one ztr, i could buy 2 wb's for the money i spend on the one ztr correct?i no i would trading off something there likecomfort for one , i was hoping to hear fromthe pro's who prehaps did the same thing and what was their spin on this? i don't plan to stay small very long and will be making more puchases as the business dictates? Thanks - Joe - Jolin Lawns plus

6. John Gamba

from ct

A burm is a small man made hill. You can turn a walk behind a lot faster then a ztr. Why do you want two walks? If you are alone or have a person spin trim you only can use one walk at a time. I think you keep hearing about how fast and comfortable the riders are BUT not in all areas is this true. A good walk is worth its weight in gold for what it sounds like you are going to do.
    Do me a favor please try a demo a walk on the props you are going to do then demo the rider, this will tell you what you need to know. It would be faster if you had two walks with two operators then just a rider.
    John

Oh get back to me when you have demoed.

7. mowjoeman

Hey John sounds good i will do a wb demo It's been many yrs since i was on a bobcat and remembered how awesome it was, the guy let me try it for a couple of minutes long ago. No i wouldn't buy two but you could buy a couple of wb's for almost the same moneyas one ztr here in Fla. I'm going into my third season now and i think i need to get creative with the advertising or something? Good things come to those who wait ? a man once said, I bet he's still waiting? I have to find somebody who will demo them my local guy is somewhat of a stiff? i decided this past week that i will no longer do business with him. Long story - takes all kinds!But he isn't the only one around thank God! thankyou John for the good advice - Joe

8. John Gamba

from ct

Smart move:cool:

Why dont you look at exmarks Turf Tracer 60" like i just got and have used for years:D It can do smaller props and larger ones to. You may also want to try hustlers walks, doc-pete can fill you in on those.
    John

970-300.jpg

9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

My dealer told me to start with a wb and work till I was to tired or either I couldnt keep up and then consider a ztr mower. I done what he said and I think it was good advice. He said alot of his customers are lco in the city and cant use a ztr and the walk behind is the only mower for them. My opinion is start out with a walk behind and work in to a ztr

10. mowjoeman

Hey John - i need to get off of this 1995 proline 620 toro it has a 42 inch cut but if your familur with this model than say no more it's not a production model but it's slim line design gets you into the backyards past the standard openings. i have actually had guys stop me and give me about three already because they couldn't get their machines thru! but man is it slow! so since i really haven't figured out which way to go residential or commercial or both? i think i'll go for the comfort of the zrt and get done sooner and spend more time figureing out which direction to go in and start getting creative? i think alot of my answers are in the advertising ? but how much to invest and if it's proven so on etc. I'm not shy and have done pretty good cold canvassing with the paint business i had but went with my x-wife as did my first lco biz! oh well ! I think i have learned some really important lessons recently and i'm ready to make up for lost time! my credit is ok and my girlfriend s even better! so we're very serious and want to take this business as far as we can? i've been pretty much adapting to the elements and getting a crash coarse education on small engines and parts the basic do's and don'ts which have pretty much been common sense and the equipement i bought this time around cost me a little under ten grand and i'm pretty much even at this point. i bought another 1200 worth of equipement at the end of last season so now i know i can handle the heat and that i like the work enough so it's time to go to the next level, i'll keep you posted, Thanks for your interest and help john, any advice you have for me will be apreciated! and i hope you don't mind that i share my experiences with you as well? i'm still going to demo one of these wb but i haven't seen husler around here much i'm sure it's just an over site on my part . I always liked the exmarks from day one! have a good week - Joe