ZTRs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Joel B., Jul 26, 2002.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

I have been researching these for a while now and from what I am reading, Exmark seems to be one of the best. I know many of you run different mowers and are happy with them, but I don't want to get a different brand and later wish I would have gotten the Exmark. I'm sure a lot depends on what brand(s) are available near you. Exmarks are expensive, are they worth it? What other brand is just as good for less money? Cut quality, speed and price are important to me.

Thanks for all the advice,

Joel B.

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Cheap now could mean expensive later down the road. You pay for quality. Quality comes in different brands. The main brands are pretty close in price.

3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Check out the Hustler's
    Where in Mn are you ??

Later
    Pj

4. firefighter

firefighter LawnSite Member

Ex mark are very good machines, for the past three months I have been researching a lot of the different ZTR's in my area. It came down to the Ex mark or the Scag cub. I went to a dealer that handles both. I spent over two hours switching back and forth running them. Hard decision which one ¿ I decided on the scag cub.

:blob3:

5. Norway911

Norway911 LawnSite Member

Firefighter,

I am curious why you choose to go with the Scag over the Exmark. I am trying to decide between the two right now as well!

6. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

mowerconsultant,

I'm in Plymouth, a suburb of Minneapolis.

Joel B.

7. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

If I remember correctly you don't have a commerical WB, but just a 21", and now a ZTR. Any reason you don't think you'll a good WB with that ZTR???
    Pete

8. firefighter

firefighter LawnSite Member

The reasons I choce the scag cub

1. Controls are on the left side of you on the scag and on the exmark the controls are between your legs.(just thought they were easier to get to on the scag)

2. The grass catcher blower that mounts onto the mower deck takes up less (over hang) on the scag over the exmark. ( my trailer is not very wide.)

3. Blade RPM was 19,400 on the scag and only 18,000 something on the exmark.

4. Over all ride was the same as being bounced around, but the scag seemed to be a little more sounder. (the exmark I tried seem to have more body noise)

I couldn't see any different in the cut between each machine