ZTRs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by packerbacker, Dec 1, 2003.

1. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Thinking about buying a ZTR but most of the yards i have it would be overkill, the reason i want one is to use for leaf cleanups so it would have a vacum system on it, can anyone reccomend a inexpensive one thats good?

2. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

If youve got $$$$ to spend...than I would go with an exmark or a scag.

If your pinching pennies than check out the ones here.

www.landscaperssupply.com

3. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Look at Toro timecutterZ w 17 Kaw and 52"deck. Or a used Walker, Husq has a smaller machine 48" ?? Ed

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

There are MUCH better ways to do leaves then with a ZTR bagging system. Yes its usefull, but blowing into piles and sucking into a dumptruck and THEN mowing and vaccing with a ZTR to clean up.

You seem to want a ZTR for the wrong reason. Leaves fill up bags VERY quickly!

5. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

TLS-has a good point-as i did not realize that you were looking for one primarily for leafs. I would invest in a cyclong rake and garden tractor if your just looking for a lead shortcut.

6. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

I concur,

Leaves fill up baggers in a pass or two. I will often mulch them first and then bag em. It compacts it and I can make a few more passes. On the other hand it takes a little longer that way. I have gotten a pattern down in most of my lawns that makes it easier to make good time bagging. I have to agree with TLS, You are fixing to spend $6000.00 - $8000.00 on a ZTR with bagger just to get up leaves....Crazy, Buy a truck loader for $2500.00 and build walls for your pick up.:nono:

7. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Not to nitpick, but if a ZTR is overkill for your yards, wouldn't it be overkill for the leaves. If your yards are that small, blow the leaves into piles to be sucked up, then bag the yard with what you've got (I'm assuming a walk-behind) One months worth of use does not justify the expense.

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Get an accelerator bagger. Pete is a sponser here. They are bigger then most rider baggers and a lot less expensive.
    John

xl-extender.jpg

9. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

The timecutter is a good choice, but I wouldn't get anything bigger than the 44. The blower sucks up a lot of power and you'll need all of the 17 hp to vacuum grass and or leaves. I love mine. Spend an extra $70, and put the larger 20" tires on it and it becomes a "poor man's" Lazer Z;)
    Here's mine with my 10 year old nephew.........

cj.jpg

10. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Now don't go assuming things.:p Not every lawn has 6" of leaves on it. A bagger rider can be a great thing for those lawns with smaller amounts of leaves on it. I find my machine great for smaller lawns and doing fall cleanups by cutting and vacuuming in one step.
    Pete