1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

zturn and mower tie downs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Jaybrown, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Jaybrown

Jaybrown LawnSite Bronze Member

How should I secure my zturn in my enclosed trailer. It has to be easy and fast and secure Pics please !

2. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

CowboysLawnCareDelaware LawnSite Senior Member
    from DE

3. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

I got a second vote for Fastrap's here

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Fastraps are the way to go.

5. kyia

kyia LawnSite Member

I am just wondering why so many of you guys take the time to strap ur mowers down between accounts? To me it's just a lot of wasted time. Some wired state law? In KY here we don't do it around here.

6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Most mower brakes suck and it takes just one panic stop to crush a bunch of stuff. Not all guys have racks and just lay equipment in the trailer with the mowers.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Federal law? If you've never looked at the Fastrap you need to. We're talking seconds to strap a ZTR down. Be the leader in your part of KY, not a follower.

8. wegomow

wegomow LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have an enclosed, I have an open trailer with 3 foot sides. I hit a wicked pothole one day and the mower hopped all the way into the wall and knocked the bagger off, luckily in landed inside the trailer. No damage done but I strap it down now. As the saying goes, better safe than sorry.

9. deschampsbrothers

deschampsbrothers LawnSite Member

Faststraps are the best product on the market when it comes to your equipment being secure when driving and yes it is a law if the DOT state trooper gets there hands on ya. I have them on every trailer for every mower. it's either a $30 strap system or running the chance of one mower running into another. And in my case i have a brand new 36 scag v ride sitting right infront of my zero turn on the trailer so i take the time to strap the Z down. Yes ,Time is money but broken equipment due to stupidity cost you both.

10. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

I have an enclosed trailer and used the fast straps until I got a DOT inspection. I had both rear tires secured with the fast starps and that is illegal. Any piece of equiment over 5',they do measure, needs to secured at 4 points. Securing at the back tires only counts as 2 points. A ratchet strap across both casters counts for 2 points. I purchased e track because it is easier in my opinion to secure legally and gives more flexibility. I always thought I operated a legal business until that inspection. Pa. uses federal DOT laws as most states, So I was told. The fine per mower is 150.00 for the driver and 300.00 for the owner. That is 450.00 per mower and I have 3. A 21inch needs one ratchet strap and bungees don't count. Hope this helps. Matt