“The Revenge of the Acorn”: Lyme Disease Explosion

Darryl G

Inactive
The whole Chronic Lyme Disease issue is controversial. My wife still has symptoms that we believe are related to her Lyme Disease and has been receiving ongoing treatment and medications for it...arthritis and connective tissue disease. Her symptoms are much like those for Lupus.

The problem is that the CDC does not recognize Chronic Lyme Disease, leading to it not being accepted as a disease by the mainstream medical community. They call it Post-Treatment Lyme Disease Syndrome. The controversy is basically whether there is ongoing/recurring infection by the bacterium that causes it or "residual damage to tissues and the immune system that occurred during the infection.” The result is that getting long-term antibiotic treatment for what may be an ongoing infection is difficult, especially given new guidelines for reducing antibiotic use.

Wye Oak Tree

LawnSite Fanatic
I know several folks with Lyme Disease.
They get fatigued fairly fast and don't feel well in full sunlight.

I would like to add to Michael's post;
Chipmunks and grey squirrels also harbor ticks.
I had to trim a 'deer path' today and subsequently found a tick crawling on me shortly afterwards!
I hope everyone checks themselves daily for these little devils.

AI Inc

LawnSite Fanatic
Read the other day that they winter in left over leaves that were not picked up. I have over 6 acres here , mostly wooded. Thinking about doing a controlled burn next fall.

Wye Oak Tree

LawnSite Fanatic
Just another yearly bump for this thread.

I pulled off a deer tick from my body today.
It's important for everyone to check themselves after working outdoors.

I was told that taking your work clothes and putting in the drier on high for 15+ minutes will kill any ticks on your work clothes.

It dries the little devils out and kills them.

Wye Oak Tree

LawnSite Fanatic
Just another yearly bump for this thread.

I pulled off a deer tick from my body today.
It's important for everyone to check themselves after working outdoors.

I was told that taking your work clothes and putting in the drier on high for 15+ minutes will kill any ticks on your work clothes.

It dries the little devils out and kills them.
Another thread bump for 2021 summer:

I pulled 2 tiny ticks the size a a grain of sand off me in the last 3 days.
I also had a big wood tick crawling up my shin earlier today.

Warm wet weather lately and a mild winter has allowed these creeps to persevere.

Please check yourself for ticks after work.

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
Another thread bump for 2021 summer:

I pulled 2 tiny ticks the size a a grain of sand off me in the last 3 days.
I also had a big wood tick crawling up my shin earlier today.

Warm wet weather lately and a mild winter has allowed these creeps to persevere.

Please check yourself for ticks after work.
Thanks for the heads up buddy.

I live in a rural area. Checking the kids for ticks is a daily ritual around here. Wood ticks a plenty are found. I'll look with a heightened awareness for those little ones now!

EricC

LawnSite Bronze Member
It was around long before Lyme, CT. Anyone remember when they found Otzi the Iceman? Guess what DNA they found in his pelvis? B. burgdorferi. He lived 5300 years ago, so it’s likely been around a while :)

fun fact one of the first canine approved vaccines was developed largely by Steve Callister in La Crosse, WI. Some of us had a great opportunity to be a part of that in the early and mid 90’s. I think it was eventually pulled from market too.

Mark Oomkes

LawnSite Fanatic
I know it's wise to remove them ASAP, but it seems like they are now saying infection is unlikely unless the tick has been "attached" for more than 24 hours.

I don't remember where I've seen it, but I know it's been in a couple different articles.

Delmarva Keith

LawnSite Senior Member
This year definitely worse than priors for me. Already several ticks and I’ve become allergic so they itch for weeks and seem to take forever to heal. Never got Lyme disease.

Just recently got fed up with all the ticks getting on me and I started spraying my boots and pants with a 0.5% mix of permethrin and let it dry before using them. Seems to help. Got the idea from CDC. https://www.cdc.gov/ticks/avoid/on_people.html

Top Forums