“The Revenge of the Acorn”: Lyme Disease Explosion

rlitman

LawnSite Silver Member
I know it's wise to remove them ASAP, but it seems like they are now saying infection is unlikely unless the tick has been "attached" for more than 24 hours.

I don't remember where I've seen it, but I know it's been in a couple different articles.

I believe that timing depends on the type of disease in question, but yes, it's around that. I've heard suggestions to save a tick you remove and freeze it, because you can send it in for testing later on if you need to.

This year definitely worse than priors for me. Already several ticks and I’ve become allergic so they itch for weeks and seem to take forever to heal. Never got Lyme disease.

Just recently got fed up with all the ticks getting on me and I started spraying my boots and pants with a 0.5% mix of permethrin and let it dry before using them. Seems to help. Got the idea from CDC. https://www.cdc.gov/ticks/avoid/on_people.html

I recently sprayed the cuffs of several pairs of socks with Sawyers Permethrin treatment, and marked the toes with a fabric paint pen, so I could identify them. I'll be wearing these for outdoor activities where I have tick concerns.

Delmarva Keith

LawnSite Senior Member
I believe that timing depends on the type of disease in question, but yes, it's around that. I've heard suggestions to save a tick you remove and freeze it, because you can send it in for testing later on if you need to.

I recently sprayed the cuffs of several pairs of socks with Sawyers Permethrin treatment, and marked the toes with a fabric paint pen, so I could identify them. I'll be wearing these for outdoor activities where I have tick concerns.

Maybe think about your pants too. I’ve had several bites on my torso just above the belt line which says to me they got onto my pants and climbed up my pants onto my torso to bite.

Top Forums