1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

08 superduty MPG going up

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by supercuts, Apr 22, 2008.

1. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

just an update, i had posted my new superduty diesel was only getting 11-12mpg off the lot, well 6,000 miles later shes pushing 17-18mpg's highway. thats learning to really stay off the throttle in the 65-70mph range at or just under 2,000 rpms.

this truck has the average MPG setting on the dash and i spend so much time watching it im affraid when i floor it. ive found that by keeping the turbo psi at or below 10 psi its great on fuel. 20 psi shes getting thirsty and at 30psi up a 1 mile hill on I-84 in ct she was sucking!

2. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Very good deal!

3. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you still running winter blend fuel ?

4. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

What truck did you get? F-250,350,450,550.....4X4?

5. Gruneich Lawn Care Inc.

Gruneich Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from SD

I have a 08 F350 with the 3.73's, The mileage really started to wake up around 8000 miles, at about 75 or just a tick under 2000 rpm, 17-18, cant wait to see what the mileage does when I install my edge..

6. supercuts

08 f350 srw 6.4l 4x4 ext cab short bed, 3.73 rear

7. supercuts

not sure, perhaps thats why it jumped up, didnt even give it thought.

8. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

A few thousand miles and #2 vs. #1 would account for alot of that. Figuring out how to drive it would get you the rest.

9. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you guys know anyone with a 6.4 in a stake body, if so what kind of mpg are they getting?

10. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

Thats pretty good in my 05 powerstroke if I baby it on the highway the mileage is great but when it's stop and go loaded I average about 12-13 mpg. I waiting for ford to drop to 0% for 60 again so I can get another one.