1/2 inch tap (for threading stripped threads, duh)

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mr.cactus, May 27, 2008.

  1. Mr.cactus

    Mr.cactus LawnSite Member
    from Brea CA
    Messages: 57

    Does any one know of a tap that can be used to repair stripped 1/2 inch threads. Many of times I come to home owner systems were they have stripped the threads in the ground and I (and the homeowner) don't want to replace the fitting due to it being in a bad spot (right by a wall) So I was wondering if there was a product like a riser extractor type product used for rethreading.
  2. Wet_Boots

    Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 50,410

    Buy some marlex elbows, and thread one of them into the 'ruined' fitting, and work from there.
  3. DanaMac

    DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,214

    PVC? Galvanized? Poly? I think there is a tool you can use, but if it's poly or PVC just rip it out and do it over. I know it may take more time and especially if in a tight area but in the long run it will probably be better. I have done the soft marlex ell trick as well.
  4. 44DCNF

    44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,538

    I'm not in irrigation guys, but would something like this work?
    thread repair but your talking about the other threads aren't you? never mind.
  5. AI Inc

    AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 26,833

    sometimes just threading a galvi or other metal fitting onto it , them back off can do it.
  6. Mike Leary

    Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 23,148

    Words of wisdom from the least coast.
  7. Wet_Boots

    Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 50,410

    I've used a metal nipple as a 'tap' once or twice, but I like the marlex.

    Messages: 18,668

    Ditto... I go marlex my self.
  9. mowzum

    mowzum LawnSite Member
    Messages: 51

    marlex here also with teflon if the threads are really hammered
  10. Mike Leary

    Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 23,148


Share This Page