Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was walking out the door and the Mrs says "Listen hon I want you to be real careful out there today, I just got this felling"

So I get to this land-clearing job and start hacking into the lantana with my clearing saw and I hit this nest of these bloody jumping ants and they just spray all over me head to toe. And man do these little frickers pack a punch. You think a bee or wasp sting is bad, mateys you aint been stung till ya been stung by one of these. So I burn the frickers:blob2: Ha Ha and go and do another lawn while I wait for them to disperse.
Get stuck back into it and this pi#sed brown snake comes hurtling out of the scrub at me, and just get to him with the clearing saw before he had a go at my ankle....Ha Ha. (Scary Sh*t)
So yeh I chopped him down to size a little but it starts getting a little hows it goin down under this time of year. (gotta be on the ball)
Just shearing my day with yous and putting the "Yellow Jacket " story's in perspective.:D

·
Banned
726 Posts
Sheesh man. No wonder you've got such [email protected]$$ ants roaming around when they have to cohabitate with Brown Snakes. Imagine if you’d been swatting those ants when that snake made its move? Who knows, maybe they saved you. LOL

We Americans think we’ve got some bad critters, but they’re peaches and cream compared to those in Kangaland. When I was a pup, I worked Pipeline construction and came across large Rattlesnakes often. The fat ones commanded my full attention, but they were pretty much defensive. NOTHING like the full out in your face attack of a Brown and no where near the punch. So what are your plans if you did get hit?

·
Banned
726 Posts
pinnacle,

Since most of the people who read these posts have never heard of a Brown Snake, you might want to elaborate because that "name" sounds kind of harmless over here. Tiapan sounds much more exotic and dangerous.

·
Registered
14,693 Posts
pinnacle wrote;

Just shearing my day with yous and putting the "Yellow Jacket " story's in perspective.

While i've never had the fun of playing with your spitting ants i can assure you will know it of you disturb yellow jackets. They come out in in force and unlike your jumping ants they fly and will chase you until they get you.

A few years back a guy locally was cutting his lawn on a riding tractor and all of a sudden the tractor fell into the ground. He had ridden across a huge yellow jacket nest and they very nearly killed him. The fire fighters had to use a fire hose to blow the yellow jackets off of him so they could rescue him.

We also have the Africanized Honey Bee here there is more often than not fatal in their attacks. You only need to get near a colony to trigger an attack. And it's not just 10, 20 or 50. It's literally the entire hive. And they are very irritated by outdoor power equipment.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I see pinnacle is only 23years old. All those nasties down under it would be amazing if a LCO would make it to even 35. ;) LOL
Not much around here scares me but all those poisionous critters you got in Australia, no way dude. I'd get a desk job. Marc

·
Registered
234 Posts
We have snakes around here too.(nothing as bad as yours) Just up north from me they have timber rattlers.
There was an article in the local paper just yesterday about a professor who was studying them up near Lake George,NY that got nailed by one.

Never seen one myself thou, and want to keep it that way too.

Dan

·
Registered
63 Posts
When i was about ten years old i was always bored so i had a bad habit of going around and digging holes with a shovel. I remember one day i dug into a mound of dirt and flipped it over and it was an entire colony of yellow jackets.
I turned around and started running and manged to make one step and then all of a sudden.....POW!!! POW!!! POW!!! POW!!! POW!!! Man you want to talk about a world of hurt. I counted over fifty five stings and those were only the ones i could see. Not counting my back and top of my head.
That must have been the begining of my addiction to Skoal.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For those of you that aren’t familiar with the “Eastern Brown Snake” They are bad mothers and just to give you an idea of there speed and aggressiveness, last year I was helping a mate cut his paddocks and he went to get some beers and gets in his Volvo and proceeds down the drive. I look and there’s a big (1.5m) pis#ed brown chasing this Volvo at speed (around 40-50km/h) right the way down the drive biting the rear bumper. This is an image that can’t be reproduced with words and that will stay with me forever. It helps me to respect them a lot more too.
A large adult brown snake is a formidable creature. They may exceed two meters in length and, on hot days, can move at incredible speed. They are Widely distributed, favoring dry areas. Inhabits earth cracks, hollows, even rabbit burrows.
When attacking, the brown snake winds its body into an 'S' shape (see pic), raising itself off the ground. It strikes rapidly and repetitively and when I say rapidly and repetitively I mean one could have bitten you 5 times before you even know its there.
But as I say its all about respect. I don’t live in fear I’m just aware of the danger and am always prepared. All snake bites should be treated as a medical emergency. If I was to get bitten good first aid practice could “buy me the time” to get to a medical center that had an anti-venom.
This good first aid practice would entail a “Pressure immobilization bandage”

After being bitten I would apply a broad pressure bandage over the bite site as soon as possible. Clothing, towels etc could be torn into strips. Panty hose have been successfully used. Would not take off clothing, as the movement of doing so would promote the movement of venom into the blood stream. I’d keep the bitten limb, and my body still. I would bandage upwards from the lower portion of the bitten limb extending the bandage as high as possible up the limb. Even though a little venom may be squeezed upwards, the bandage will be more comfortable, and therefore can be left in place for longer if required.
Then I’d apply a splint to the limb. Many objects could be used as a splint. e.g. spade, piece of wood or tree branch, rolled up newspapers etc. This would be closely followed by calling an ambulance (depending on where I am) or getting a lift to a medical center. It’s a good idea to have someone working with you in a snake prone area that’s trained in pulmonary resuscitation. Although you bloody want to hope it doesn’t get to that stage, and it probably wouldn’t unless you were pis#ing around or just had no idea.
So there you go your all learned up now :D

Snake Reptile Scaled reptile Terrestrial animal Liquid

·
Registered
542 Posts
I've always thought that Australia produces a different kind of man. You guys have got the most poisonous things on the planet there: spiders, snakes (Common Brown, Tai Pan, all the varieties of tiger snakes), bad a** spiders, and, by all the cryptozoology sites I hit some big 30 ft plus lizards out in the remote parts.

And all the residences and businesses need their grass cut.

Makes me glat to be in the land of Dixie!

Cordially,
Sheppard

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
These things are really agresive and can jump up to 30cm and will chase. they bite and just keep bitting unlike a bee and there venom is highly toxic and painfull but is only deadly when you get stung in excess. They have well developed eyesight. There sting produces an unbearable burning sensation and golf ball size swelling. This pain usualy stays for quit some time. 2 days.
All up my legs felt like they were on fire and up my chest.Richard martin I have been stung by bee smarms heaps as well as coman wasps and european wasps and mate trust me you don't know. Bee stings aint noting mate, we have bees too and if you think its bad being swarmed by bees try jumping ants.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.