1 Last stupid ?.. about Oil

ScaggyGrass

LawnSite Member
What is the difference.. between SA,SG,Sj,SL, Ci, Cj.. oils..
Is this how they rate ZZp additives..
What is the high.. What is the low..
I want alot of additives & detergents.. for long life..
What do I realy want.

I finaly figured out.. what the weights & vecosity mean.. now I need to know the silly Letters.. lol

bug.gif

bug.gif

32vld

LawnSite Gold Member
What is the difference.. between SA,SG,Sj,SL, Ci, Cj.. oils..
Is this how they rate ZZp additives..
What is the high.. What is the low..
I want alot of additives & detergents.. for long life..
What do I realy want.

I finaly figured out.. what the weights & vecosity mean.. now I need to know the silly Letters.. lol

View attachment 242364
The SA classification system was from the API American petroleum institute. Depending on year of manufacture cars needed oils that had a certain chemical/additive makeup to provide proper lubrication. As years went buy engine lubrication needs have change so oil design hand to be improved. So every time a new specification was needed a new classification was created, so SA then SB to now I think their up to SM.

Back in the 70's I think they started putting SC followed by another pair of letters. The first letters where CC if I remember right.

The way S refers to gas engines the C refereed to diesel engines.
Back then you bought an oil can with SC-CC. Means that this oil can be used in both gas and diesel engines.

As new standards for diesels have come out so the system worked it's way through the alphabet to CD, and so on just as with gas engine oils.

And yes you can use a SM oil in any older engine, even a SA engine. But no you can not use an older rating oil in an engine that requires a newer rating.

Last edited: