1 or 2 man crew

cubsfan1

LawnSite Member
In your guys opinion what would be more efficient sending out 1 two man crew or 2 one man crews, all my accounts are relatively in the same 10 mile radius?
Posted via Mobile Device

JDGlandscape

LawnSite Senior Member
One two man crew would be much better. Many reasons for this. When you have only one person out there they get burned out much easier and they do not have that other employeee thereto motivate them. When it is one person they slack off more and you dont have two people to say if the property is done well enough.
And with two crews of one person you will have two trucks, two trailers,two mowers, and at least two weedwackers and everything going all at once. Where as with two people in one group you get only one truck one trailer and one guy mowing while the other guy weedwacks and blows down the driveway.

RLS24

LawnSite Bronze Member
regardless of efficiency, 1 2 man crew is gonna cost you way less in the long run, even IF 2 1 man crews would be slightly more efficient you'd still be losing because you'd have to have a second truck (with all of its insurance and maintenance costs), another trailer, another set of equipment.....the list goes on. When I would work alone, it would take me say 40 minutes to do a full service lawn. Once I got an employee that was good, and we developed a good system, we can do the same lawn in 15 minutes. you would think 2 people make it only twice as fast, but sometimes it works out to be even faster! and its usually a better job than 1 person trying to be quick in more than double the time.

fastlane

LawnSite Senior Member
regardless of efficiency, 1 2 man crew is gonna cost you way less in the long run, even IF 2 1 man crews would be slightly more efficient you'd still be losing because you'd have to have a second truck (with all of its insurance and maintenance costs), another trailer, another set of equipment.....the list goes on. When I would work alone, it would take me say 40 minutes to do a full service lawn. Once I got an employee that was good, and we developed a good system, we can do the same lawn in 15 minutes. you would think 2 people make it only twice as fast, but sometimes it works out to be even faster! and its usually a better job than 1 person trying to be quick in more than double the time.
Wow! I could use a helper that good! What I do alone in 8 hrs takes about 4 1/2 hrs with helper. You pay helper for travel time but it's cheaper than 2 one man set ups.

RLS24

LawnSite Bronze Member
Wow! I could use a helper that good! What I do alone in 8 hrs takes about 4 1/2 hrs with helper. You pay helper for travel time but it's cheaper than 2 one man set ups.
Its not so much has having one "that good" its finding the right guy thats not an idiot that you can train to operate the equipment efficiently and proficiently to do things the way you want them done so that YOU can focus on what you're doing and not worry about what they are doing. After a while you develop a system so like when you get to a particular lawn, you just know that you are going to mow with this mower, and he's going to trim and edge everything and start blowing this section and when you're done mowing you blow another section and you finish up and on to the next one and you really dont need to stand there running around in circles saying "ok, you do this, I'll do that...ok whats left? did you do this? ok well I better do this..." Keep in mind theres also some lawns that are either so big or so small that no matter how many people you have or don't have it takes the same amount of time. We have a couple lawns that are so small that inevitably someone is standing around at the end waiting for the other to finish blowing, but theres not enough to blow that its worth starting up another blower to run it for 10 seconds while you're tripping over the other guy cuz the place is so small.