$1 per minute????

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Bo Bob, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Bo Bob

Bo Bob LawnSite Member

I've had a couple guys tell me that they bid a yard about $1 per minute on the yard. if there is much weed eating they go $1.15 - $1.30 per minute.

So if a yard takes them 60 minutes they get a minimum of $60.

Sounded high to me but i guess if they are getting it....

2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

About right around here where I live

Myers Lawn Care likes this.
  3. countrysidell

countrysidell LawnSite Member
    from NY

The same pricing my dad used in the 90s. I go by lawn size. I use a 61" ferris. So for instance, an acre is $60. If it's an easy flat acre I can be done with everything in 20 or so minutes. Minimum charge is $40 even if it's a 1/4 acre. Location probably plays a key role though too.

4. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Missouri

Not high at all. Depending on area it may be kind of low.

Chevy z71 and kawasaki guy like this.
  5. sehitchman

sehitchman LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think a dollar per minute is going to work any longer. By the time you add the taxes, insurance, maintenance and future replacement costs for equipment, I'm thinking there is very little left in real profit. By the time I add another 2-6 hours a week for equipment , truck and trailer maintenance you're slowly going broke. My new number is $1.25, and I don't think that will cut it long term.

6. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Florida

Location is the key variable. We have guys here charging as low as $65 a MONTH, weekly mowing, for 1/4 acre lots. Assuming 30 minutes for a solo to do that yard, that’s something like a whopping 54 cents a minute.

7. kemco

kemco LawnSite Bronze Member

15 years ago that's pretty much what everyone I knew in the biz was shooting for bidding if that tells you anything.

8. kemco

I agree with sehitchman after looking closely at my numbers this year the mowing side and all its additional work is killing me expense wise. Which factors directly into what I am charging. I look at my PL and think "hey what can we work on cutting back on expense wise this year to boost profits because expenses are kicking our tail" and when my answer is " not that much if anything" rates must increase.

hort101 likes this.
  9. countrysidell

countrysidell LawnSite Member
    from NY

If I had to put a number on it, I shoot for $2/hour, and that includes window time. Realistically if I looked the numbers, it would be lower. I'm solo.

Alot of guys give these low prices and then get stuck. Not only does it hurt the market for yourself, but everyone else. Customers become accustomed to the lower prices.

Another way to look at it is, if you were to take your truck, mower or whatever into a shop, what is their labo
    orrates? Typically close to $100/hour?

10. kemco

^^^ and they will upcharge you and the parts