Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can get at least three 5/8-11X10 Grade 5 Hex nuts? In order to put double blades on my Skag, I need a longer bolt. (The current one is 9.5") Or, does anyone with a Skag have another idea for doing this?

The only place I've found so far is McMaster - Carr, but the minimum order is 25 bolts. I only need 3 - 6.

Thanx

·
Banned
320 Posts
i just put doubles on my 61" turf tiger -,i had a local machine shop turn me some new spacers that were 1/4 shorter that the original spacers.the new ones are 1 inch long instead of 1-1/4 like the old ones.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
We had a local nutty bolt (fastner store) but if you can't find it at your local hardware stores, try calling or stopping by a machine shop. I really took my old neighbor for granted( he was a machinest) he always did a ton of stuff to help me modify my trucks and equipment. A machinest or toolmaker is a great person to know!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked with Grainger, they don't have them that long. I'll have to check out Eckart and Finard and the machine shop route tho...thanx for all the help!

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
What size SCAG? I have a 48" WB and it has the bolt that yours has and it has like 5 1/4" spacers between each spindle and the blades. When I run doubles, I simply remove one spacer and put it in the tool box. Blades are same thickness as the spacers.

Maybe all SCAG's aren't the same as mine? I think its time for SCAG to update that design as it is dated and it is much simpler to use just a bolt similar to Dixie and Exmark.

·
Banned
320 Posts
on the tiger it is one spacer on each blade that measures 1-1/4 inch long. i had a machine shop make me some 1 inch spacers for running doubles. your best bet may be to go to your dealer and get some 1/4 spacers that are off of one of the fixed deck walkbehinds and have like (4) 1/4 spacers for each blade.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dixie1, I have a new 52" Skag Ultimate Hydro. It's the same setup as Midsouth's tiger. (one 1 1/4" spacer). I'll look at getting the 4 spacers per spindle.

·
Registered
519 Posts
grade five bolts and nuts are common...lowes,home depot, parts store etc etc grade 8 are stronger and ussally have to go to granger or an indutrail supplie house.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have heard that the Scag bolts are made of a soft steel and that you should only replace them with soft bolts. A hard steel bolt can cause damage to the Spindle. Has anyone else heard of this?

Levi Duncan
Lone Tree Lawn Care

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I wouldnt use a gr8 bolt on a blade spindle, you whack something it will snap instead of stretching and bending like the softer gr5 bolt.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The existing bolts are grade 5 - I don't want to try something different (a different grade) just for safety's sake. Actually, my father just e-mailed me last nite and he has 3 of the bolts I'm looking for. I don't know where he got them tho.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.