10 Hr days?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by JFGLN, Apr 12, 2018.

1. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you guys work 10 hr days? I'm thinking this could be a way of doing more work and increase efficiency without adding another truck and equipment. Not sure how the scheduling would work to give everybody 40 hrs. I have 2 crews and 4 employees...1 lawn and 1 garden and then a third truck i use for Fertilizing and small projects.

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

We work Sun up to Sun down now. Summer is 10hr and an hour lunch at hottest part of day. OT is unavoidable or I would be refusing work.

3. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

yikes!!! i would have severe burn out if i worked long hours like that. after 6hrs i'm ready to go home especially when it's hot. it's not so bad to work long hours in the early spring or fall when it's cool but once it gets 95-100f it just gets awful out there.

you really work 6am til 8 or 9pm? that's 14-15hr days. that's how much daylight we have during the summer.

larryinalabama likes this.
  4. sailfish27

sailfish27 LawnSite Member

I don't but I think it might be a great idea. You could bring in another guy and give everyone 3 days off. Or shuffle 3 men to your garden crew and keep 2 for mowing. Either way, your completing more work at the same expense.

5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

If the crews are up to it , I let them. We're pretty acclimated here. It' a source of pride for them. Makes for great checks too.

kemco, FromUndaChz and sjessen like this.
  6. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Platinum Member

I have heard that a lot of companies actually get more production done when they work 4-10's as compared to 5-8's!

It becomes a "win-win" as the guys like the extended 3-day weekends!

7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

long weekends but you sit on your butt all weekend because you are tired out. :laugh:

i like being able to still do things once i get home from working. leave some gas in the tank for other things in life. i do other things besides work every single day, not just on the weekends. i guess everyone is different. i need the down time to keep my sanity in life. i work 5 days a week but most days i'm done by 2-3pm so i have a lot of free time in the evenings. i like it that way. that's why i quit my other job. working swing shifts about 10hrs a day 5 days a week once you counted drive time and everything. working 2 saturdays a month. it just felt like my whole life was work and nothing else. i guess some people live to work but i work to live. :laugh:

i dunno i've never been one to wake up, eat, go to work, come home, shower, eat, and go to bed. i need my life to be more than that. seems pointless to me if that's all life is about.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  8. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

I enjoy my 3 day weekends. Right now I’m running 12-14 hour days myself to get mulch done, but it’s all commercial. A few I’ll do over night.

9. smallyardman

smallyardman LawnSite Member

I work 8 hours a day at a factory, then go and mow or projects for 3 to 4 hours. on weekends its 6-10 hours of yard work. make hay when the sun shines

10. KB Lawn Care

KB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I'm solo so a little different, I originally planned on 4 tens, but then I realized I will make the bulk of my annual income in the summer so now I take all of the work I can. I don't work Sunday and I only work Saturdays if rain requires, but 5 days became necessary pretty quick. I usually work about 50 hours some weeks more some less, but I really don't work at all January or February. I like the idea for employees though.