10 years in business

STL Ponds and Waterfalls

LawnSite Bronze Member
Next month will mark the 10th year I went out on my own. How would you use this in a marketing aspect? Giveaway's, discounts?

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
I wouldn't fool with any of that. Would such an aspect entice you as a consumer to buy from them? It would not do anything for me. If you want you can put on your stationary "since 2002". Otherwise buy a 30 pack, get some steak, and celebrate at home.

Posted via Mobile Device

jbailey52

LawnSite Bronze Member
I agree with DVS... 10 years hands on is great... But I think it only matters when you can letter your truck with "30+ years serving the ".." community"

Ten sounds like a new company to me, even though your seasoned.

OP
STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls

LawnSite Bronze Member
I'll use the Celebrating 10 years in business phrase, but not sure what else. With all the other companies folding I thought it might be a good marketing technique.

zedosix

LawnSite Silver Member
I'll use the Celebrating 10 years in business phrase, but not sure what else. With all the other companies folding I thought it might be a good marketing technique.
10 is kind of a benchmark for success the way I see it, but just yesterday I heard of two companies in our area that went down, one that has been in business for 15 yrs the other only about 6 yrs.

Congrats on reaching the decade mark. :clapping:

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
It seems the average tenure of hardscape companies is 5 to 8 years. My unscientific data.

It's other week I tried to pull up a Pennsylvaniana company's website of an industry online personality and it was no longer in cyberspace. Domain name registration expired on 12/18 and not renewed. Caught me by surprise.

10 years is a good length. Now did this 10 yrs begin as mowing?
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic

OP
STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls

LawnSite Bronze Member
It seems the average tenure of hardscape companies is 5 to 8 years. My unscientific data.

It's other week I tried to pull up a Pennsylvaniana company's website of an industry online personality and it was no longer in cyberspace. Domain name registration expired on 12/18 and not renewed. Caught me by surprise.

10 years is a good length. Now did this 10 yrs begin as mowing?
Posted via Mobile Device
In a sense like the rest of us. I started mowing professionally for a large school dist in '98 got burnt out on that and in March of '02 I started on my own doing concrete edging/curbing Kwik Kerb. Realized I was doing more land/hardscaping so I switched to St. Louis Ponds & Waterfalls in '04 and I've been going to the school of HardKnocks/Hardscaping ever since.

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
It hit me this past summer that sometimes being a long time veteran contractor can actually be a bad thing for the customer!

I had written about this incident on this forum, but this past summer we dad a small raised patio. I had a detailed proposal. Proposal itemized material quantities. And there was also a scaled design that the client loved.

We did the job as the design called for. Measured out exact as scaled on the design. I had estimated materials to the exact layer with NO left over.

We're 95% finished and the client wants to make changes. Changes that involve additional materials! Ok, "no problem, you want the changes you'll have to pay for the materials and a little bit for our time". Client: "oh no I'm not paying, I'm not happy with this". Me "this is exactly as contracted, we have a perfect circular patio as designed, your changes will ruin the circle, the contract lists material quantities, we've exhausted the materials, there are no more". We went back and forth for 45 minutes.

But anyway, while we were going back and forth it hit me, it was like a freight train hit me, I thought to myself "oh my god, this is all too familiar for me, I've been doing this too long, I know exactly what he's trying to do, changes are fine, supplying materials at my expense are not fine, and I know he's wrong". I then thought "if this was 15 years ago I would not have even known how to react". We're standing there on his patio and he's talking and I'm zoned out deep in the thought that my length and experience as a contractor was TOO strong and actually working against this customer.

Last edited:
OP
STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls

LawnSite Bronze Member
LOL! I can totally paint that picture in my mind on my own projects. I just had a lady call (referral) for an estimate that is 60 miles away in our neighboring state. I'm not sure what I want to do about it. 8-10 years ago I wouldn't hesitate on taking the job. Today I weigh all the pros & cons run the numbers and make a decision. Than again I haven't heard the whole project scope yet.