Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Vendor
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The post is to simply share the logic and reality of what it looks like mathematically to generate $100,000. You can break this down multiple different ways. For those making $100k solo, feel free to share your numbers with the group.

The math really is quite simple and is doable. Credit to Mike Andes if you aren't following him on Youtube.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I don't know about $100 thou unfortunately inflation is helping pave that road, even more unfortunately is that it won't be worth what it once was... When I started I got into $30k and it was good, not quite where I wanted to be but good enough, it takes years... 2-5 to get off to some kind of a start, then another 3-5 before one actually starts to hit that stride and another 2-5 to become established... In most cases that's a good decade or longer. I didn't want to believe that when I was young but now at 55 years old I can see it, looking back, the people who told me these very things, they were right...
I didn't start to see the money until around my 12th year and by then I had been in the business long enough to not get so darn excited every time an extra $50 or $100 came my way, that probably helped, thou the real money didn't start until about year 15 and it's been pretty peachy since.
Last year I grossed $75k, I'm shooting for $100 but as I told my wife, you can't go from $50 to $500 overnight... It doesn't work that way, rather it's a process, it takes time... You can go from $50 to $60, let that percolate and set in, then once that's some kind of firm try for $70, don't overshoot or you'll hurt yourself, been there done that, got the t-shirt lol

Thanks for asking, it was a pleasure to share that.

·
Banned
288 Posts
I'll say this: A good business plan is vital to success. But a plan that is doable is essential. Doing that much money as a single operation is going to be difficult at best and definitely a dawn-to-dusk x 6 operation.

·
Premium Member
4,234 Posts
I did $102k in 2020, $123k in 2021. YTD, I’m at $43k. That’s solo but not just mowing. 25% mowing, 55% apps, 20% landscaping on average. Net on those 2 years averaged out to 63%. Had around 1500/1600 hours each year. This is my 9th year full time.

I’m just a regular dude, if I can do it, anybody can.

·
Premium Member
4,234 Posts
I'll say this: A good business plan is vital to success. But a plan that is doable is essential. Doing that much money as a single operation is going to be difficult at best and definitely a dawn-to-dusk x 6 operation.
Eh, I work 10 hour days, 5 days a week. To hit $100k and not kill yourself takes quality, not quantity. People who value their property will pay someone knowledgable more $ to take care of it. The more services you can do at 1 account, the easier it is.

·
Vendor
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did $102k in 2020, $123k in 2021. YTD, I’m at $43k. That’s solo but not just mowing. 25% mowing, 55% apps, 20% landscaping on average. Net on those 2 years averaged out to 63%. Had around 1500/1600 hours each year. This is my 9th year full time.

I’m just a regular dude, if I can do it, anybody can.
Love to hear that. Keep up the great work!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I do about 100k gross
85k is mowing
I do all the cutting alone about sixty houses
I also do fertilizer. Clean ups I have help for on weekends.
Seeding and aerating in fall helps add to that
It is about 90-100 an hour. My route is super tight. I do 14-15 houses a day 1/2 to 3/4 an acre.
I use a 60 and 36. Started using john deere a few years ago. They work really well
No one wants to work anymore, so right after covid I made the decision to cut my list in half and kept 60.
They all get extra stuff so that helps
I take the winters off (dec to mid march)

·
Premium Member
4,234 Posts
Apps are money makers and I might be wrong, but I'd say that it is the reason you're at that figure?
That’s part of it but not “the” reason. It’s 55% of my gross sales. That 55% includes renovating(grading, repairs, installs, etc.) lawns. Prior to that service exploding for me, I was hitting $80k mowing and landscaping. I’ve since began to phase out/scale back landscaping and mowing and really drive the turf stuff. It’s a niche market here. The local guys aren’t licensed and don’t do it(they refer everyone to me), TG can’t compete with my service and the big dirt guys are too big for a 5-10sq ft topdress/grade job. Our local extension office also sends everyone to me so I wouldn’t chalk it up to “apps” being the successor here. I have roughly 100 +/- treatment customers for reference, that’s not that many.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Yea, in a perfect world where it never rains, things never break down, you never get sick or need a day off or never get tired and burnt from cutting 15 yards every day 6 days a week, etc.. etc..

If you want to make 6 figures, and actually have money left over and a life, maybe try a different business. JMO..

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yea, in a perfect world where it never rains, things never break down, you never get sick or need a day off or never get tired and burnt from cutting 15 yards every day 6 days a week, etc.. etc..

If you want to make 6 figures, and actually have money left over and a life, maybe try a different business. JMO..
yea the guys working 8 days a week is just ridiculous living life like that. No thanks! I admire the work ethic but I value my family/personal time too much.

If/when I went full time I’d shoot for 4 days cutting a week and 6-8 hours a day. I’d be happy taking home 25-30k a year.

·
Premium Member
4,234 Posts

yea the guys working 8 days a week is just ridiculous living life like that. No thanks! I admire the work ethic but I value my family/personal time too much.

If/when I went full time I’d shoot for 4 days cutting a week and 6-8 hours a day. I’d be happy taking home 25-30k a year.
You don’t have to work 8 days a week, 50 hours a day to make $100k in this industry. Just because some guys do work that hard doesn’t mean everyone has to do it the same way.

·
Registered
214 Posts
You don’t have to work 8 days a week, 50 hours a day to make $100k in this industry. Just because some guys do work that hard doesn’t mean everyone has to do it the same way.
Correct.

25k-30k @ year is on the poverty line.
wife makes 6 figures so we’re blessed right now. I don’t need to make as much as I used to.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts