Lawn Care Forum banner

100 gallon skid sprayer in chevy 1500?

14K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  georgialawn88 
#1 ·
my truck is a silverado 1500 and its a short bed. so if the skid sprayer weighs 300 lbs + 8.3lbs x 100gal of water = 1130 pounds then i add 200lbs for myself, plus 10 bags of fert for 500lbs then 50 lbs for misc tools such as spreader, additional chems, etc.. total weight on truck full would be roughly 1900 lbs which i believe is pretty close to the max rating in the bed of this truck (from my google search) however, would like to hear from someone who has put a skid sprayer in a silverado 1500?? would slosh from 50 gallons in a 100 gallon tank be that bad? i thought of a ride on, but have many small lawns, many hills.. ride on may not work for me.

it sucks that many potential customers will not give me a chance, because i do not have a spray rig. i've gotten great results without a skid sprayer, with all granular and using my backpack sprayers. I think many feel the need to see the entire lawn sprayed with a liquid, because its something they can't do on their own, but they can easily spread stuff from home depot. guess i need to work on my sales pitch.. lol.

thinking of getting spray rig this spring when i have the cash.

#4 ·
would like to hear from someone who has put a skid sprayer in a silverado 1500?? would slosh from 50 gallons in a 100 gallon tank be that bad?
You can feel a little slosh, I should have had a baffle put in the tank, but it's not bad. I don't do skids per say, I have my setups custom build for my needs. This is in a 2006 Silverado 1500 extra cab with a 6.5' bed, it is a 100 gallon fiberglass tank with a Pumptec pump and a 300' 3/8" hanney hose reel. I had it designed to take up as little bed space as possable. It cost me about 3k. It's a backup truck and I still haven't gotten the tool box yet. Just thought it might give you some ideas.

Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

#5 ·
You can feel a little slosh, I should have had a baffle put in the tank, but it's not bad. I don't do skids per say, I have my setups custom build for my needs. This is in a 2006 Silverado 1500 extra cab with a 6.5' bed, it is a 100 gallon fiberglass tank with a Pumptec pump and a 300' 3/8" hanney hose reel. I had it designed to take up as little bed space as possable. It cost me about 3k. It's a backup truck and I still haven't gotten the tool box yet. Just thought it might give you some ideas.
that is an awesome setup!:clapping:

#6 ·
#10 ·
I run a 200 gallon spacesaver in my 1500 without a problem. 3 years ago I had a 300 gallon skid tank in my 1500. It did an alright job but would not recommend it for full time.
I have a 325 gallon in a C1500 extra cab with the 6.5 ft bed. No way I can fill it over 225 and feel safe driving it. I have never been happy with the brakes on any GMC truck. Compared to my Isuzu Cab over that stops on a dime, my 1500 brakes suck.

Point here is 100 gallon should be very little sweat, just drive careful. A 200 gallon Tank drive like a 90 yr old man and watch your braking distances.

GVW of a truck has more to do with the BRAKING POWER than springs or suspension.

#11 ·
yeah, i'm not gonna go over 100 gallons in this truck. by the time i have need for a bigger tank there would be plans for a bigger truck. i already drive like an old man (according to the wife) so i should be fine then.

I have a 325 gallon in a C1500 extra cab with the 6.5 ft bed. No way I can fill it over 225 and feel safe driving it. I have never been happy with the brakes on any GMC truck. Compared to my Isuzu Cab over that stops on a dime, my 1500 brakes suck.

Point here is 100 gallon should be very little sweat, just drive careful. A 200 gallon Tank drive like a 90 yr old man and watch your braking distances.

GVW of a truck has more to do with the BRAKING POWER than springs or suspension.

#12 ·
Have a new model dodge ram 1500 single cab, extended bed. I have a brand new lesco space saver 200 gallon tank. Yeah if it's full it's not the most fun to drive but it works absolutely fine. Only when I have the aerator in it does it look squatted down. 100 gallons should be fine. I used to work for a company that used a single cab, single bed ram 1500 with a 200 gallon in it and while it was not ideal it got the job done for 7 years without issue.

#13 ·
Bigger truck means bigger brakes. have one of those overloaded trucks push you through a interesection or not let you stop in time for that kid who ran into the street. Then see who is at fault. you can make most trucks not squat but stoppign is always the issue. DOT won't care that your truck didn't squat when you hit that person or casused a accident. They will only worry about your ability to brake. Sorry, but this is the reall issue with overloaded trucks and it happens all the time. Do your self a favor and buy a 3/4 ton pickup or larger.

#14 ·
Bigger truck means bigger brakes. have one of those overloaded trucks push you through a interesection or not let you stop in time for that kid who ran into the street. Then see who is at fault. you can make most trucks not squat but stoppign is always the issue. DOT won't care that your truck didn't squat when you hit that person or casused a accident. They will only worry about your ability to brake. Sorry, but this is the reall issue with overloaded trucks and it happens all the time. Do your self a favor and buy a 3/4 ton pickup or larger.
It's 800 pounds of water...less weight than if he was pulling a trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device

#15 ·

There is always the opposition to put your Skid Sprayer on a trailer. Trucks can haul more weight than the can carry. Add in electric brakes and you can haul some big tanks. The down side is trailer are a little hassle to park. They aren't real easy to turn round or back up etc. But the bottom line is they can be pulled by Mom's Soccer Van if need be.

I have a back up skid sprayers on a trailer. There are 2 small 50 gallon unit that I mix special applications in so I don't have to use my truck mounted sprayer. I might use that trailer twice a week or twice a year, but I don't having to double clean every thing, is a real time savings.

#16 ·
Half tons are light duty trucks with small brakes, less springs, light duty rear & front ends! Overloading every day will cost you more in the long run, you will break springs and shockmounts, burn up bearings and brakes and piss off the dot!

#17 ·
Half tons are light duty trucks with small brakes, less springs, light duty rear & front ends! Overloading every day will cost you more in the long run, you will break springs and shockmounts, burn up bearings and brakes and piss off the dot!
Hmm...140k on my Tacoma...original rotors, never been turned and are not warped. Original clutch...I do have heavy duty coils and add a leaf in rear. Original inner and out tie rods and upper/lower ball joints.

800 pounds in the back of a 150 is nothing.
Posted via Mobile Device

#18 ·
if 1900 lbs is the max load capacity in the bed of my chevy 1500, (according to google search, probally should find my manual...) but if so.. 800 lbs, shouldn't be much.. if thats overloading, guess i'm gonna have to tell my mother in law she can't ride in the back of the truck to church anymore. :nono:

Hmm...140k on my Tacoma...original rotors, never been turned and are not warped. Original clutch...I do have heavy duty coils and add a leaf in rear. Original inner and out tie rods and upper/lower ball joints.

800 pounds in the back of a 150 is nothing.
Posted via Mobile Device

#20 ·
Where is the 800 lbs coming from? That's less than 100 gallons of water by itself. You have to add in the tank, pump, motor, hose, bags of fert, spreader, and yourself.
Add another 250 for skid and add the decreasing weight of fertilizer...

Two 50 skids with motors, fert, and sometimes pulling a trailer...could stop on a dime in my Tacoma...the added weight in the rear of an otherwise empty truck helped braking.

If a Tacoma can do it I know a full size truck can...unless Ford and Chevy make trucks wimpier than a compact single cab Tacoma.

People pull 3000-4000 pounds of trailer and mower everyday with F150's with no trailer brakes...if it can't handle 1000-1200 pounds of skid and fert in the bed, the truck aint worth having and Ford should consider another line of business. A 100 gallon skid in an F250 or larger is a waste of truck...he aint haulin a skid steer.

You people go overboard...for all you folks that haul mowers with an F250...you should get an Isuzu NPR like me...bigger brakes, heavier springs and a big ole diesel engine. Talk about a truck that couldn't stop in an emergency!
Posted via Mobile Device

#21 ·

I will agree that a 1/2 ton is nothing more than a passager car with a Bed. To me real trucks are 3/4 ton heavy duty or bigger. But at the same time we are not too far from those third world counties that Load 42 people in a VW Minni Van.

#22 ·
Add another 250 for skid and add the decreasing weight of fertilizer...

Two 50 skids with motors, fert, and sometimes pulling a trailer...could stop on a dime in my Tacoma...the added weight in the rear of an otherwise empty truck helped braking.

If a Tacoma can do it I know a full size truck can...unless Ford and Chevy make trucks wimpier than a compact single cab Tacoma.

People pull 3000-4000 pounds of trailer and mower everyday with F150's with no trailer brakes...if it can't handle 1000-1200 pounds of skid and fert in the bed, the truck aint worth having and Ford should consider another line of business. A 100 gallon skid in an F250 or larger is a waste of truck...he aint haulin a skid steer.

You people go overboard...for all you folks that haul mowers with an F250...you should get an Isuzu NPR like me...bigger brakes, heavier springs and a big ole diesel engine. Talk about a truck that couldn't stop in an emergency!
Posted via Mobile Device
I felt exactly the same way when I owned a Tacoma. Truth is most full size trucks can't compete with a Tacoma. My Tacoma had 302,000 original miles when It was t-boned and totaled. I now have a full size truck and honestly don't notice much difference in payload or pulling a trailer.

#23 ·
I purchased a half ton (new silverado 2013) 12 months ago. I love the truck, extended cab all star edition LT. It rides like a caddy, plenty of leg room, beautiful interior, 18.5 mpg with the 5.3 and the new six speed tranny. I love the truck, however, i wouldnt dream of loading it up and working it on a daily basis! Its my personal vehicle, i use it for sales, fetching parts, hauling the treks and the kayaks, etc. Its not a worktruck. My duramax 3500 and my cabover are worktrucks!

#24 ·
Hopefully someday i can get to a point where i can purchase a 2500HD. for now, i'm having to make due with what i have. the 100gallon skid is no issue in this half ton truck. I never thought i would make this a work truck myself, as it was my personal vehicle that i babied for so long. its an 07, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I wouldn't put anymore than the 100gallon skid in this truck. Its Good on gas atleast. My goal is a 2500 HD with a bigger skid eventually. I just feel good that everything is paid for for now! saving up the cash for a bigger truck later on. :drinkup:

I purchased a half ton (new silverado 2013) 12 months ago. I love the truck, extended cab all star edition LT. It rides like a caddy, plenty of leg room, beautiful interior, 18.5 mpg with the 5.3 and the new six speed tranny. I love the truck, however, i wouldnt dream of loading it up and working it on a daily basis! Its my personal vehicle, i use it for sales, fetching parts, hauling the treks and the kayaks, etc. Its not a worktruck. My duramax 3500 and my cabover are worktrucks!

#26 ·
Buy that time comes for a 250 HD you will need some thing bigger to get more done.

Charles Cue
Agreed. I started out with a 2500, still use it everyday. It hauls 300 gal tank and zmax. Invested into my company and bought 3 ex Tg Isuzus, best money ever spent. The cab overs are the way to go IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.