Lawn Care Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts
Half tons are light duty trucks with small brakes, less springs, light duty rear & front ends! Overloading every day will cost you more in the long run, you will break springs and shockmounts, burn up bearings and brakes and piss off the dot!

I will agree that a 1/2 ton is nothing more than a passager car with a Bed. To me real trucks are 3/4 ton heavy duty or bigger. But at the same time we are not too far from those third world counties that Load 42 people in a VW Minni Van.

Add another 250 for skid and add the decreasing weight of fertilizer...

Two 50 skids with motors, fert, and sometimes pulling a trailer...could stop on a dime in my Tacoma...the added weight in the rear of an otherwise empty truck helped braking.

If a Tacoma can do it I know a full size truck can...unless Ford and Chevy make trucks wimpier than a compact single cab Tacoma.

People pull 3000-4000 pounds of trailer and mower everyday with F150's with no trailer brakes...if it can't handle 1000-1200 pounds of skid and fert in the bed, the truck aint worth having and Ford should consider another line of business. A 100 gallon skid in an F250 or larger is a waste of truck...he aint haulin a skid steer.

You people go overboard...for all you folks that haul mowers with an F250...you should get an Isuzu NPR like me...bigger brakes, heavier springs and a big ole diesel engine. Talk about a truck that couldn't stop in an emergency!
Posted via Mobile Device
I felt exactly the same way when I owned a Tacoma. Truth is most full size trucks can't compete with a Tacoma. My Tacoma had 302,000 original miles when It was t-boned and totaled. I now have a full size truck and honestly don't notice much difference in payload or pulling a trailer.

I purchased a half ton (new silverado 2013) 12 months ago. I love the truck, extended cab all star edition LT. It rides like a caddy, plenty of leg room, beautiful interior, 18.5 mpg with the 5.3 and the new six speed tranny. I love the truck, however, i wouldnt dream of loading it up and working it on a daily basis! Its my personal vehicle, i use it for sales, fetching parts, hauling the treks and the kayaks, etc. Its not a worktruck. My duramax 3500 and my cabover are worktrucks!

Discussion starter · #24 ·
Hopefully someday i can get to a point where i can purchase a 2500HD. for now, i'm having to make due with what i have. the 100gallon skid is no issue in this half ton truck. I never thought i would make this a work truck myself, as it was my personal vehicle that i babied for so long. its an 07, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I wouldn't put anymore than the 100gallon skid in this truck. Its Good on gas atleast. My goal is a 2500 HD with a bigger skid eventually. I just feel good that everything is paid for for now! saving up the cash for a bigger truck later on. :drinkup:

I purchased a half ton (new silverado 2013) 12 months ago. I love the truck, extended cab all star edition LT. It rides like a caddy, plenty of leg room, beautiful interior, 18.5 mpg with the 5.3 and the new six speed tranny. I love the truck, however, i wouldnt dream of loading it up and working it on a daily basis! Its my personal vehicle, i use it for sales, fetching parts, hauling the treks and the kayaks, etc. Its not a worktruck. My duramax 3500 and my cabover are worktrucks!

Buy that time comes for a 250 HD you will need some thing bigger to get more done.

Charles Cue
Agreed. I started out with a 2500, still use it everyday. It hauls 300 gal tank and zmax. Invested into my company and bought 3 ex Tg Isuzus, best money ever spent. The cab overs are the way to go IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.