• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

$100/month for grass & snow? Opinions please

Schuley

LawnSite Member
I have a few customers, with the potential to get a few more from the situation. They want me to do 1 contract for snow and grass in hopes of saving money. In the summer they pay $140-$150/month for grass, then nothing in the early spring and fall when its not doing anything, then as it snows they pay too. I figured the total they pay every year roughly and it figures out to $1200/year. Do you think they will jump on the $100/month offer? Or is it wise? It would be a simple plan, just mow, trim, and blow stuff off then its just clearing the drive in the winter, which i already have 50+ so the equipment is available. Does anyone else offer a plan like this? There would have to be some small print, like if they canceled before the 1 year is up then it defaults to a fixed price for everything and is billed out that way? People are getting tighter with their money and and it seems I have to get more creative with what I offer, does anyone else do something like this?

OP
S

Schuley

LawnSite Member
I'd also be doing some upselling for spring &fall cleanup, salting extra....etc
I should also state that they are duplexes that house disabled adults so its an agency that I would be going through. And It would be per side $100/month

2low4NH

LawnSite Bronze Member
that would be considered low balling. thats 12.50 per cut basicly. if you doubled that number you would be doing better but still low. i havework for every day but about one week out of the year when the leaves are not dropping yet. unless all your lawns are postage stamps i would stay away from that price.

doubleedge

LawnSite Senior Member
that would be considered low balling. thats 12.50 per cut basicly. if you doubled that number you would be doing better but still low. i havework for every day but about one week out of the year when the leaves are not dropping yet. unless all your lawns are postage stamps i would stay away from that price.
Not everybody lives where there is no snow and where the grass grows for almost the whole year.

I think it is a good idea, as long as you do put in an early termination fee.

2low4NH

LawnSite Bronze Member
we have about 4 months of grass and 6 months of winter. spring and fall clean ups fill the voids. think about it a weekly cut x4x5 months average 20 cuts @ 1200 that leaves you at 60 per cut not including any plowing or clean ups. no mulching no weeding. pay taxes on that your at 40 bucks profit add the cost of fuel, mower, truck, insurance. you will make 10 bucks per lawn in the end. its not worth it. unless you have 400 units

OP
S

Schuley

LawnSite Member
maybe I should have been more clear. We have 24-26 cuts per season. There are guys all over doing seasonal plowing for $300. They are for a single drive, no shoveling or anything, salt not included. That leaves you with $900 for mowing. Well say we get 25 cuts, $900/25=$36/cut. They are mostly duplexes, the lots are just slightly overwhat a regular house would be, but not by much. Square lot, 10k square feet of mowing. Mowing months = $144 for their bill, in the fall or spring their bill is hardly anything unless I do a cleanup or something else. So all i'm really doing is spreading it out to make a lower monthly payment seem more apealing to the customer. Now of course for larger stuff, or more services being done, the price would go up... Im just trying to bounce some ideas off people...

FourTrees

LawnSite Senior Member
Sounds reasonable and if you can up sell then it gets better. As you mentioned we are talking simple yards. Sure you will get heap o plenty naysayers on here. But it is well thought out as long as snow does not become extreme but that depends on you average snow fall and you know best.

Some people do not like doing this bulk discount type jobs. I enjoy them and am willing to give discount as they are often so easy. As you say it is not really a discount rather spreading out their costs.

EcoGreen Services

LawnSite Member
I do that for some customers who get get home maintenance assistance from Veterans Affairs. $95 a month.
Small places for the most part. The average would be about 18 cuts and 20 snow removals here. Some year more, some years less, but it's consistent income in the slow spring and fall times and because it's set up on automatic payment, there's no chasing cheques.
Spring/Fall cleanups, Fertilizer, Aeration are extra per service.

grassman177

LawnSite Fanatic
when i did something like this, it was great for a year you go littel snow, but a big heavy and frequent snows, you will lose money. i stopped doing it, think of that and make sure you have a good high number of allowed visits per winter to clear snow.

EcoGreen Services

LawnSite Member
when i did something like this, it was great for a year you go littel snow, but a big heavy and frequent snows, you will lose money. i stopped doing it, think of that and make sure you have a good high number of allowed visits per winter to clear snow.
Most of these places are 5 minute pushes, this January, 2 pushes. Last January 9 Pushes. Pretty much nothing in March, April, October November so it works out in the long run.
They're all retired Veterans so I like to think I'm giving a bit back.