1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

1040 doing takes myself need help

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by grass disaster, Jan 24, 2007.

  1. grass disaster

    grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,754

    no way would i do my own taxes myself.

    i'm planning on helping my gf do her taxes. she has a lot to learn about $ and taxes so i figured i would help her do hers as a way to learn how the process works.

    i used to do my own when i was younger. i used the 1040ez form if i remember correct.

    how what form(s) do i need to depreciate her school loan interest??
    what for do i use to complete her taxes??? (less than 30k income)
  2. SpikeGT

    SpikeGT LawnSite Member
    from NW OH
    Messages: 74

    Use turbo tax that will make it easier.
  3. grass disaster

    grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,754

    not going to learn anything that way.
  4. gene gls

    gene gls LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,213

    I guess you need to take a "tax" course or go to the book store. Will she look good in a "striped" suite???
  5. lawnman_scott

    lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 7,547

    Why do you guys always try to scare someone when it comes to taxes? Like she would go to jail on an honest mistake when is DID FILE her taxes on $30,000.

    If it is the deduction for student loan intrest, that is line 33 of the 1040 form. That is the form you will need to use. Its simple to fill out. Just get or download the forms and instructions. Most of it is simple and a few things will be easily understood after reading the instructions. You can download them at
  6. grass disaster

    grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,754

    thank you.

    that was what i was looking for.

    filling out the form is easy. i just didn't know where the student loan # went.
    i don't need a $30-$50 software program to do simple taxes
  7. warren piece

    warren piece LawnSite Member
    Messages: 92

    Actually you can do it on line for free. You can go to the IRS website, or Taxact.com and do the short form for free there. With Taxact it explains what you are doing as you do it. I have been using the long form with them for about 5 years now.
  8. grasswhacker

    grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,873

    Yup, that will help. It walks you through the process. You can either get Basic, Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business, etc. Plus the Deluxe and upward include your state download free.

Share This Page