• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

10W30 full synthetic in a diesel?

Bunton Guy

LawnSite Silver Member
Is this oil to thin to use in a V-twin Diesel mower engine? I used normally 15W40 rotella and changed oil every 50 hours. Im planning on running the full synthetic oil in the mower for most of the season 200-250hours. Without a change. It looks kinda thin....from a chemical makeup standpoint is this a bad thing?

jsr2741

LawnSite Senior Member
Shouldn't have a problem, probably will run cooler too. Call your mechanic and see what he says.

I run Rotella 5w-40 Synthetic in my truck and so far no problems.

Doster's L & L

LawnSite Senior Member
Just my 2 cents....
The diesel engine oil has more of the added "chemicals", for lack of a better word, than the gas engine oil does. Look on the back of a diesel oil container and the same with the gas engine oil. You'll see the circle with what all it has passed in testing. The gas oil will be approved for: API Service SL/CF. The diesel, on the other hand is approved for: API services Cl-4, CG-4, and SL.

I think i'd keep using the diesel oil with the diesel and the gas oil for the gas engine.

A1 Grass

LawnSite Senior Member
2 more cents:

I use Chevron Delo 15/40 and I installed a Frantz Bypass filter (toilet paper element) about 2 months ago. I have about 2500 miles on the oil and it's as clean as the day I put it in. If you want clean oil ALL the time, check out the Frantz. I believe they have them at www.wefilterit.com.

1992 Dodge D250 Cummins Turbo Diesel.

OP
Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy

LawnSite Silver Member
by the way the 10W30 that was installed was Mobil one full synthetic and on the back it said good for use in turbo cars and diesels...now this isnt a turbo diesel but it is a diesel run under lesser conditions.

OP
Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy

LawnSite Silver Member
When I went to the parts store my intentions where to buy a full synthetic 15W40...but they didnt carry it anymore because it didnt sell very well. I checked several stores with the same story so next time I will order some Amsoil 15W40 but for this season I think I will just leave the 10W30 in it for the complete season as that was my intentions.

Ray&Christine

LawnSite Member
For the last year I used Castol Syntec full 10W-30 synthetic in our Kubota tractor for the last year. It was one of few synthetic oils I found with the CF rating on the jug, I think that is what the owners manual recommends. So far it seems to work fine but the tractor is not used very hard and we only put about 40 hours a year on it.

Movinfr8

LawnSite Member
Originally posted by A1 Grass
Frantz Bypass filter (toilet paper element) about 2 months ago. I have about 2500 miles on the oil and it's as clean as the day I put it in. [/URL].

1992 Dodge D250 Cummins Turbo Diesel.
I use a Gulf coast filters bypass filter. Very similar to Frantz, uses toilet paper. Haven't changed my truck's oil since April 2002, about 35,000 miles ago!!

I DO, however change the filter element and add a quart of Mobil 1 10-30 every 2,000 miles or so.
Norm

marvinlee

LawnSite Member
I use Mobil Delvac 5-40 diesel engine oil in the Kubota ZD-21. The Delvac is formulated primarily for diesel engine use, though it will function fine in a gasoline engine. The Mobil1, which I use in my car, is formulated mostly for gasoline engines, though it is usable onsome, not all, diesel engines. Beware: Delvac 1 is costly!