Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a truck loader for about 3 months now and ran across a Billy Goat 11 hp with only 11 hours. The guy is asking $1550 and claims he bought it last year for $2200. Sounds a little fishy but worth checking out. Have any of you found any great deals on truck loaders?

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Last spring I picked up a 16hp Lesco for $1500. A guy had ordered it and then decided he did not want it. It was taking up space so they knocked $700 off price tag just to get it out of their way.

MATT

·
Registered
397 Posts
that is a good price. Can anyone tell me if the 11 hp is big enough. I am either going to get either the 13 hp Honda or the 16 hp Briggs but there is a price difference of about $400 and dont want to waste my money buying the bigger one unless i need to. Thanks

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How well the 11 hp Briggs motor perform with wet leaves or heavier debris? Dry or mulched leaves shouldn't be any problem, but I want something that can work in adverse conditions.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Originally posted by edrenckh
"SORRY, THIS ITEM CAN NOT BE SOLD OUTSIDE THE STATE OF COLORADO." per Alamia.

Be sure to read the fine print. Maybe they will still sell it, maybe they won't.
Its a price comparison - I can pick one up tomorrow at that price- Billy Goat does not allow them to sell out of state

·
Registered
505 Posts
11hp might not be 16-20hp but it sure beats using a rake and tarp:eek: I paid $1895.00 for my 11hp BG loader last fall. Does great with dry stuff, not bad in wetter stuff. Just watch out for those 12" to 14" sticks that like to get caught in the hose and block it up:angry: Did try it once, I mean ONCE on grass clippings that had been pilled up for about 2 months. It kept choking down the discharge spout:dizzy: It probably would work on fresh clippings, though. JMHO Marc

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I havent actually done it, but have seriously considered it. I have just about everything I need to do it, even a 18 HP B&S Vanguard Horizontal shaft engine to do it too. Jst gotta get it all together. I figure, if you build your own, then you aint gotta worry about breakin a 2 grand pieve of equip. anyhow:rolleyes: .

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have put 4 seasons on a BG 11 hp honda, and yes if you are working alone, it beats the snot out of the tarp method. stuck sticks can get pretty agravating though.
Last season I ended up running a piece of stove pipe to my trailer instead of the 10 foot hose, and dumped leaves/clippings there. No clogs.
500 is only 1 day on the road, so if you can swing it, go for the bigger motor. You will get more done sooner that way, and we know time is money.
"perfect speed my friend is being there"

·
Registered
393 Posts
I fabricated my own leaf loader. Not the best but it works. I really need a frame setup for it. I have a 13hp Honda bolted down to my trailer then a trac vac assembly mounted to the engine and a brace from assembly to trailer. it works for now.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
The trouble will building your own out of whatever you have laying around is that when it breaks you are really in trouble because you can't find the parts to repair it. You also can't take it to someone else for repair if you are too busy to fix it. Having said that I do build quite abit of the items I use like trailers, ramps, sprayers and attachments. Make sure you have a local Dealer where you can buy a complete replacement if needed in a hurry.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Originally posted by Bill Davis
do yall think that the 13 hp Honda would be considerably more powerful that the 11hp Briggs or not. I like the Honda motors so that is why I am leading towards it.
As long as the larger hp engine has a larger intake hose, it should be better. We've been using an 11hp Briggs Billy Goat for years (it won't die, which is why we haven't gotten a bigger one for so long...), and recently I've started to see larger engines, but with the same size intake hose. If the intake hose is the same size, I don't think it is worth getting the larger engine. Over 11hp, the intake should be at least 10". You have to match the engine size with the intake and exhaust tubes.

For a small operator, the 11hp w/ 8" intake works fine, but you would probably be happier with a 14 or 16hp with a 10" intake. Of course, there is usually a pretty substantial price jump for the larger machine, as with everything.

If the 11hp fits your budget right now, get it, it is worth it.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I used the tarp a couple of years only to find out that it's worth spending the money. You can easily make it up with the extra work. I was watching a guy do 3 yards to my 1 when I was using the tarp. The old saying rings true, "you have to spend money to make money".

·
Registered
397 Posts
No the 13hp still has only an eight inch intake tube. THe 16 hp does have the 10" tube. I guess I will just stretch it and get the bigger one for now. Now I have to figure out a safe way to put it on the front of my dump trailer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.