12 yards black mulch

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by JackJohnson2323, May 12, 2019.

1. JackJohnson2323

JackJohnson2323 LawnSite Member

Greetings all. I understand you may not share pricing information, and that's ok. For those who will, please provide me some feedback. I have worked for a lawn care company for years, and decided to begin bidding mulch jobs on my own. I started relatively cheap and people commented on how affordable I am. I started to rise prices.

Today, I went to someones house who needs 12 yards of black mulch, edging, and weeding. The beds are pretty long, so it will take a while to edge. He insisted that he would get his mulch. I bid the labor with edging and spreading at 600.00. He said that sounded too high and said no to me. My question being, is 600 about appropriate for that size of job? If it is high, is it that super high? The mulch price would be 372.00. so a 12 yard mulch spread with labor and mulch would have cost him 972.00.

Does this sound extremely high, average, or below? Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Hard pass.

Thanks for your time.. NO

Stop bidding cheap

I hope your insured

Jeff@diyokc, Walker56 and TomH&H like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    JackJohnson2323

Are you saying he is wrong with saying too high in price?

4. OP
    OP
    JackJohnson2323

I am. It's a guy that I work with so I lowered the cost for him, and he was still saying it sounded high. And I was taken back because I can't believe he actually believed that number was high.

JLSLLC likes this.
  5. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure how long it you take you. Every job is not the same. I always supply mulch. My price would of been the total and some at least, and I think I’m low for my area.. but I get good mulch cheap

Edit: 12 yards to you might not be 12 yards to me and vice versa so that’s something to keep in mind

Walker56 and sjessen like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    JackJohnson2323

The edging is what would take me the longest, for sure. Pretty big beds but definitely a lot of edging. This is the first occurrence of anyone saying my price was high and I was trying to help the dude out. Just one of those guys. He paid someone else I work with 200 to do it last year. 200 dollars to mulch 12 yards. The guy is cheap.

JLSLLC likes this.
  7. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Let it go, there are better clients out there. I would not work for this person

Spartan57, Cam15, hort101 and 2 others like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    JackJohnson2323

For sure. I suppose it's just because I work with him also. I wanted it to be a cool thing, but not gonna be. thanks for answering.

hort101 and JLSLLC like this.
  9. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

No worries enjoy your weekend and good luck this season

hort101, Walker56 and sjessen like this.
  10. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Bronze Member

I do 12 for about $1300 / and pay $38yd which is high for dyed crap.

dKoester, Cam15 and hort101 like this.