13 year old's first lawn care business. Things I have learned and questions.

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Bronze Member
What I don't understand is how many people hire teens to do lawn mowing. It's a liability issue. No way I'd hire a kid to run dangerous equipment on my property. Yeah, I did it as a kid too - I pulled the family push mower around with my bicycle with one hand on the handlebars and one on the mower.

jonniesmooth

LawnSite Senior Member
What I don't understand is how many people hire teens to do lawn mowing. It's a liability issue. No way I'd hire a kid to run dangerous equipment on my property. Yeah, I did it as a kid too - I pulled the family push mower around with my bicycle with one hand on the handlebars and one on the mower.
I covered that in my post with" many of us here started the same way, but that was a different world. Good luck."

Because I wanted to see which way the flow would go.
Cuz I'm kinda new here.
It's great for kids to develop a work ethic and self motivate, and all the rest. And in order to do that they have to take some risk, and so do their parents, who are ultimately responsible when and if something goes wrong.
And maybe we are doing a disservice to these young men if it isn't brought up?
But again, not.my circus,not my monkeys.
I'm the FNG here.

Bitches_Brew

Banned
I covered that in my post with" many of us here started the same way, but that was a different world. Good luck."

Because I wanted to see which way the flow would go.
Cuz I'm kinda new here.
It's great for kids to develop a work ethic and self motivate, and all the rest. And in order to do that they have to take some risk, and so do their parents, who are ultimately responsible when and if something goes wrong.
And maybe we are doing a disservice to these young men if it isn't brought up?
But again, not.my circus,not my monkeys.
I'm the FNG here.

Personally, there is no way I would let my 13/14yr. old work that much. School, friends, band, sports, and social activity are more important in those years.

There is plenty of time to work your life away. Starting @ 13 is unfathomable. :dizzy:

Cam15

LawnSite Fanatic
Personally, there is no way I would let my 13/14yr. old work that much. School, friends, band, sports, and social activity are more important in those years.

There is plenty of time to work your life away. Starting @ 13 is unfathomable. :dizzy:
Everyone’s wired differently. The work ethic and skill I learned @ 13, 14 and 15 I’ll use the rest of my life. And I still had/have a social life.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
My parents told me to work. You want "insert whatever" then you find a way to pay for it. That was instilled in me from maybe age 9 which is why I started pulling my wagon up and down my street collecting cans and papers for recycling. Then started cutting an older neighbors corner yard for $2 a week. "I want my two dollars" (wonder who gets that reference). I was told if I wanted a car I better save up the money to buy one, and before I even had my driver's permit I had purchased my first vehicle (through my father but it was using my money). Seems this work ethic for the most part has been lost along the way. Per hour in high school I was making more than my teachers, a lot more. But the issue was the limitation of how many hours I was able to work.

JawT

LawnSite Member
Thanks for the advice! I have already read How to win friends and influence people, and I will definitely look into the other :)
Don’t waste too much time on self-help books. 99% of those management and business books are just self-help books in disguise. It’s pretty much the top selling type of nonfiction book for a reason — because none of those books have any real use, and they all say pretty much the same thing. Consider reading novels and short stories to learn about people and how they think and why they do the things they do. Study people and you’ll know how to talk to them, how to connect with them, and how to do sales.
One book I’d recommend that’s specific would be the 4-Hour Workweek by Tim Ferris. It’s focused on automating all the things that don’t actually need your attention, so you can have more free time. It encourages you to cut out the unnecessary stuff and find the places in your workday where you’re wasting your time. If you want advice on business and decision making, listen to good podcasts. This can be done while driving or mowing, and it’s more useful than most business books because it’s coming straight from the owners/CEOs themselves. Try The Knowledge Project from Farnam Street if you want in-depth conversations by successful people. For lawn care business advice, check out Mike Andes on podcasts and YouTube. He gives a lot of basic but very useful advice for people starting out.
For 2 books that will blow your mind, check out AIRSHIPS by Barry Hannah, and FUGUE STATE by Brian Evenson.

Cam15

LawnSite Fanatic
If I know the kid and the kids family I’ll absolutely take the risk. The next generation needs to be taught how to work.

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
I give the young buck credit for his ambition. Most kids his age have a belly on them, weigh 225 lbs, and have the cell phone neck kink going on.

Cross Creek Lawn Care

LawnSite Bronze Member
I had a 14 year old fill in for about a month and a half this summer. Son of one of my customers. He did pretty well. I was (still am) in need of workers so it worked out well.

Lawn guys are definitely getting a little desperate… especially around here. I’ve been offered a job from 3 different companies, in other words, every company I’ve talked to

Top Forums