1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

1300 Hours...Head Gasket, Rings, Both?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Mimowerman, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Mimowerman

Mimowerman LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Toro Z Master ( Model # 74178 SN 220000233) it is equipped with a 20 hp Kohler engine( spec# PS-65585-Ba S# 3127105221) which has given me 1300 hours of service with almost no issues at all . Last year I started to notice it laging a bit, and burning oil as well . It was hard to start... I replaced the battery , and now starts great, just burns oil on start up and while running. It seems as there is not as much HP there as when it was newer. I bought the head kit(gaskets and bolts) but was wondering if I should replace the piston rings too? there 60 bucks a set, and my dealer said they have not replaced rings on my style engine in a while. is there a spec I should be measuring for or how do I know if the rings are bad?

Thanks for your help!
    CJ

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

A cylinder leak-down test will detect a blown head gasket/worn rings and worn valves, It's like the EKG for engines.....