14 acres to mow

josephny

LawnSite Member
I have several properties that I mow, totaling about 14 acres here in the Catskills mountains of NY. It's hilly, there are lots of obstables to go around (trees, bushes, cottages) and the lawns are not particularly smooth or flat.

I've been using a Kubota ZG327 (yes, gas) with a 60" deck and it's taking a long time and the machine is aging.

I need something that will get the job done quickly and with as little damage to my aging back as possible.

I have diesel on site for other machines, so that's not a problem (probably even preferred).

I was thinking a nice fast 96" machine. Would I still be able to manuver around obstacles as easily as I do now?

I'd sure appreciate recommendations on which machine to get (and that won't break the bank).

Thank you!

Hawkshot99

LawnSite Silver Member
On flat ground you'd be fine. I'd be worried with a mower that big on the hilly and rocky catskills with something that big. I am in Kingston, and spend a decent amount of time in the catskills.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
I'd say pick a 72 that fits your budget and likes. Probably a diesel since you said you have that onsite. Can't recommend a specific one since I don't have any experience with any pedsonally.

jonniesmooth

LawnSite Senior Member
The zt like the hustler 88 and toro/ exmark 96 are magical at best for anything with terrain.
They are underpowered as the decks are belt drive.
I have seriously looked at these at GIE.
Toro makes good wam, so does Jacobson and John deere.
What makes them good?
4 wheel drive
Low range option
Turbo diesel engine
Hydro driven decks

They also cost $70k+

1600 JD is a nightmare to maintain.
And expensive too
New transmission $10k
New transfer case $5k
Rebuild rear axle$4k
Ask me how I know.

I would look at a wright zk dual wheel stander or a steiner, maybe a Kubota zd

jonniesmooth

LawnSite Senior Member
The zt like the hustler 88 and toro/ exmark 96 are magical at best for anything with terrain.
They are underpowered as the decks are belt drive.
I have seriously looked at these at GIE.
Toro makes good wam, so does Jacobson and John deere.
What makes them good?
4 wheel drive
Low range option
Turbo diesel engine
Hydro driven decks

They also cost $70k+

1600 JD is a nightmare to maintain.
And expensive too
New transmission $10k
New transfer case $5k
Rebuild rear axle$4k
Ask me how I know.

I would look at a wright zk dual wheel stander or a steiner, maybe a Kubota zd
Marginal not magical

Andrew H

LawnSite Gold Member
Is there a guy there in the Catskills that drives around in his Walter truck all day? You can’t miss him, just look for the huge truck with the winch that’s way underrated for said vehicle...

he used to come on plowsite all the time, not sure if he’s on here.

Top Forums