1. Ask the Expert: Fertilization Strategies for Success: Dec. 12, 2017
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental: Dec. 12, 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .

14 Kawasaki won't start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by dfor, Oct 6, 2004.

1. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

Its my back-up mower. I ran it for a day or so back in June. Been sitting since. It wants to catch, backfires once every 15-20 pulls. Can also see a small flame come out of the carburetor. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I need to use the mower tomorrow (Thursday).

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

If you have flames coming out of the carb then you have a stuck valve or the flywheel key is sheared would be my thought

3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Either there is a valve sticking or a valve is not making a good air tight seal so the flame from the combustion chamber is getting past the intake valve and is coming back through the carburetor.

4. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks. How long does it take a mechanic to fix the valve if its sticking?

5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Really just depends on how many mowers are ahead of yours for repair and if he has to order a new valve then it would be there till the valve came in and the mechanic has time to fix it.

6. Joe B J

Joe B J LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

try a new s/plug

7. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

If it is sticking from carbon build up you MAY be able to fix it your self. There is a product called Sea Foam that works great but you may no be able to get it in your area (EPA) because it smokes to high heaven when you use it. Now there is an old timer way. Get some ATF (automatic transmission fuild) and pour a small amount in the carb while running at full throttle. You may want to do this at night or you may have the fire dept come to your house thank it is burning down because you will smoke out the whole neighbor hood but I have seen it clean carbon build up really well. Good luck