$15.00 Cut.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Jasburrito, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Jasburrito

Jasburrito LawnSite Member

I go to an estimate about 3 miles from shop. Its roughly 10000sp ft. With obstacles. Can prolly mow with 21 in 25 minutes plus edge trim blow. I tell her lawns like hers are 40.00. Then she says it was getting mowed for 15.00. Then she added the next door guy pays 25.00 . I told her 29.00 plus tax. See if she responds to my bids. But whatever. Thanks

2. Smith Lawn & Landscaping

Smith Lawn & Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Those are the yards you DON'T want. I wont even drop my trailer for anything less then 35.00 not worth the time. You have a business to run not a charity.

3. Jeff@diyokc

Jeff@diyokc LawnSite Member

They have no business plan and a very limitedway to recapture expenses or make a profit! Close to you, but the first red flag is the price! They look for the next cheap or cheaper guy! Work for good people, let someone else waste their time on this one!

4. OP
    OP
    Jasburrito

Thanks for the advice. I am newbie. She is in a neighborhood of small yards. 8000 to 15000sq ft. Lawnmower millionaire kinda says those type lawns can be cut at around $27.00. (10,000sq ft)If i got a bunch in that subdivision i think i can make that work at 29.00. He says those are his most profitable. He breaks down the numbers. Thanks.

5. Smith Lawn & Landscaping

Smith Lawn & Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

It's not the fact that you offered to cut for 29.00, I get it just starting out we've all been there. The problem lies when she balked at your price and stated so and so did it for 15.00. Those kind of folks will always be a PITA to work with and expect sometime for nothing.

6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Back in 1991 prices around here started at $25. You went up $4 in almost 30 years. Congrats!:dizzy::rolleyes:

7. OP
    OP
    Jasburrito

Are you in California? I live in a poor part of the country. Its like 1991. And the roads have not been repaird since about that time either. knock the tracks right off a tank. Best thing you can do for a loved one is buy them alignment. Lol.There must have been a secret war the usa lost. Cuz much of Michigans industry is gone. Its like a waste land Do i move? Thanks

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    sjessen, zlandman and Cam15 like this.
  8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I am in SC. Yea we be rich down here:laugh:

9. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Bronze Member

I feel your pain had the same thing happen to me last week charge her $50 for two tiny lawns right next to each other and she wants it done for $35. She'll be the first to go when I get better customers.

Jeff@diyokc and MattZ28 like this.
  10. Koehn's Lawn Service

Koehn's Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

Some of these people don't know what reality of pricing is in the real world and if they can get people to do it for that price good for them but the people doing it for them for those kind of prices won't last long than they will find out when they get a real proffesional in there what real pricing is I'm not going to waste my time on people like that they don't have a clue