1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

16hp kawlisaki vtwin motor

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jpeg lawn maintenance, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Jpeg lawn maintenance

Jpeg lawn maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone know anything about these motors good bad ? its on a scag 36inch belt drive. Any input helps.

2. Jpeg lawn maintenance

bump need info

3. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I guess your talking about the one in erie. For $1800 I'd be looking for a hydro before buying another belt, since you allready own one. That is a nice mower thou, and that's a Kai motor it looks like. Good engine and plenty of power for a 36" belt.

Are you going to replace the Lesco for this one?

4. Jpeg lawn maintenance

ya i am going to buy it tommrow if everytihng goes well i am giving the lesco to my dad. i have a hydro stander already just need walk behind now. this mower is nice.

5. DT Lawn Care

DT Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I would personally stay away from the KAI series. Though they are a popular motor, many many of them are having issues around 400-600 hours. A lot of them are also burning or leaking oil. JMO, but I would stay with Kohler or a different model of Kawa, say the older 420V.

$1800 for a belt 36" sounds high priced too.

6. Groh's Mows

Groh's Mows LawnSite Member

Have one on a 2006 Scag 36 wb. It has over 300 hrs and has never burned a drop of oil. About avg on fuel from my experience. Lots of power and starts easier than the old Kawasaki 14 horse engines I have used in the past. I used a Scag with the 15 hp Kohler and did not like it nearly as well. Also has the best 2 stage air cleaner on a wb imo.

7. Jpeg lawn maintenance

thank you very much fr your input check my thread tommrowo i will have pics up of my new mower

8. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

The 16hp KAI series is a very good running engine.

Hey, it's tomorrow, where's the pics? :D

9. Jpeg lawn maintenance

go to my jjpeg lawn maintenance thread. i have some there