1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

17 hp Kohler dieseling

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by X-mow, Jul 2, 2003.

1. X-mow

X-mow LawnSite Member

I've got a 17 hp kohler engine on a dixie chopper , sometimes when you turn it off it kinda acts like it wants to keep running. Somtimes it sounds kinda like a diesel for a second.Is this normal for kohlers or is something wrong, if so what? thanks for any help.

It does it more after running for awhile like 1 hour or more especially when it's hot out it's been in the upper 80's lower 90's here lately.

2. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

Try shutting it down at half throttle. My mower has a 25 kohler and the manual tells you to shu it down that way.I wouldn't be surprised if the 17 is basicly the same.
    Good luck!

3. C & S

C & S LawnSite Member

I have a 25 Kohler on my grasshopper that is doing the same thing. Also seems to lack power when I get into any thick grass. Kohler wants to "look" at the motor, and my dealer is pushing for a new motor all together. :dizzy: I have a Kawi on my walkbehind and have had no problems yet. Kind of makes think!

4. smmtns

smmtns LawnSite Member

I have a Kohler 25 and had the same problem along with backfiring. I was told to shut it off at 3/4 to full throttle. That solved the problem. Hope this helps.