1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

17 Kaw wont start after getting wet

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by tlcrice, Sep 2, 2009.

1. tlcrice

tlcrice LawnSite Member

I have a scag with a 17 kaw f5oov .Once it gets wet it will not start .I thought it was getting moister in the carburetor so i replaced all the gaskets. But did not help.
    Also after it drys out it will finally start but acts like its hitting on one cylinder for a few minutes until it starts running properly .
    Any suggestions ,thanks.

2. whosedog

whosedog LawnSite Senior Member

Had same problem with my Ransomes;turned out to be moisture in the keyed kill switch;bypassed kill switch and it started right up,could that be it?

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Check the plug wire boot connectors for rust/corrosion, On older units water runs down the wire into the boot then shorts the plug out so it can't fire.

I replaced the connectors twice on one using dielectric grease on the plug and putting a wire zip tie around the boot, Both times only lasted a couple months.

The last time the wires were too short to replace the connectors again so the customer (one of my regulars) ended up with new coils. That was over a year ago and still no problems.