1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

17hp Motor on 52" Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by llllllll, Apr 2, 2008.

1. llllllll

llllllll LawnSite Member

Is a 17hp V-twin Kaw Motor to small for a 52" Wright Stander ?..Seems under powered to me..What do you think ?

2. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

ive got a 17 on my walkbehind....... its fine most of the time but gets bogged down in thick grass.

3. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 15 hp and a 17 hp kaw on 52" hydro w/b- Many good years of service without a problem- even pulled a sulky as well-
    Yes boggs down in the thick grass but just slow down and it will still handle it- Hell my 25hp 54" w/b boggs at times as well.
    Joel

4. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

jsaunders,

Is your 25/54 a Hustler Super Walk Behind? I love tose things. You can't find them that often and when you do - people want $4500 for a 4 year old wb with 600 hrs!

5. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes - I have 2 of the Hustler SWB's- $4500 with only 600 hrs (good deal)- Mine have been pretty good a few engine issues but nothing bad the worst thing about the mowers is the STUPID hand brake- I had to fix it and now it works good and doesn't chew threw tires.

6. WrightWay05

WrightWay05 LawnSite Member

i have a 17hp kaw on my 52" hydro scag and it runs great with any problems

7. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

I had a 17Hp 48" Scag and did well..And now i just bought a 48" with a 16hp Kai engine will see how that one does..

8. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i think it is a little underpowered for a stander. you guys are trying to compare walks to a ride(stander) . you have to pull your butt along too so the extra hp for the 19 is recommended. i have the 17 kaw on my 48 stander, and would not consider a 52 without a 19hp. especially if you do any hills!!

9. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

Yup..I got the 23Hp on my 52"

10. JosephLawnCare

JosephLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

If I had a dollar for every time I heard 02duramax has a 23 on his 52.......