Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a 18.5 twin i/c briggs 42a707. it wants to dye after its been running for a while or when it gets to a high spot in the grass. if you pull the chock it will sometimes keep it from dying. there might be some water in the tank. the gas cap had a hole in it and it got rained on(trying to fix for my dad) also i had to replace the starter gear which isn't that big of a deal but while trying to deal with the dying problem it ate anthor starter gear.it has the plastic gear do they make a metal one for the twins.could it need a new flywheel?
this mower is a huskee gt 18.5 46" hydrostate. my dad got it from a friend and it set for a couple years.don't know what year but i think maybe 95 or 96. it still cuts great and it just started this dying stuff. any help would be great.

·
Registered
958 Posts
got a 18.5 twin i/c briggs 42a707. it wants to dye after its been running for a while or when it gets to a high spot in the grass. if you pull the chock it will sometimes keep it from dying. there might be some water in the tank. the gas cap had a hole in it and it got rained on(trying to fix for my dad) also i had to replace the starter gear which isn't that big of a deal but while trying to deal with the dying problem it ate anthor starter gear.it has the plastic gear do they make a metal one for the twins.could it need a new flywheel?
this mower is a huskee gt 18.5 46" hydrostate. my dad got it from a friend and it set for a couple years.don't know what year but i think maybe 95 or 96. it still cuts great and it just started this dying stuff. any help would be great.
Hi, initially it sounds like a partially blocked carb. First you need to check the fuel is free flowing to the carb, If it is then the carb must be removed and cleaned out. No big thing really. Just make a note where all the linkages go and any springs. If you've got a camera phone take some pics to help you recall the positions of links.
Good luck Phil:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
checked the fuel and it is flowing i will take it off and check the carb. problowly would'nt hert anyway because it has been sitting.when it does run it ran great.it just stumbles every once in a while and its hard to get it back going.

·
Registered
958 Posts
checked the fuel and it is flowing i will take it off and check the carb. problowly would'nt hert anyway because it has been sitting.when it does run it ran great.it just stumbles every once in a while and its hard to get it back going.
Best to do a minor service, change oil, filters, plugs. Check the air gap on the flywheel
/coil.

Treat it like you would treat yer woman. Kindness and caring :clapping:Good luck Phil :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what about the starter gear. it has went threw 2 of them since i started working on it. i have only bee replacing the gear. do i need to buy the kit and replace all the drive part or could the flywheel need replaced. thanks

·
Registered
958 Posts
what about the starter gear. it has went threw 2 of them since i started working on it. i have only bee replacing the gear. do i need to buy the kit and replace all the drive part or could the flywheel need replaced. thanks
I prefere to replace the starter gear as a kit, new parts always run better. I don't think there's much in the price. Make sure the starter is fitted correctly. I know that sounds dumb but we all do dumb things when we're under the gun. Make sure it's bolted square onto the block and running true.
Good luck Phil :usflag:

·
Registered
12,640 Posts
Check all the teeth on the ring gear for any missing or chipped. Also, These twins are known for eating the top starter end cap bushing. If there is any play in the starter shaft that will cause the gear to wear prematurely.

You can't purchase just the bushing from Briggs, They sell the hole end cap.

Oh, If you have already been through two gears, Replace the whole drive assembly as Phil mentioned.

Good Luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok i took everything apart. started with the carb. cleaned everything up also it wasn't that dirty. i think its already been apart(my brother had it before i got it. he fixed the front end need welding.)
fixed the starter(had cracked the gear and was seperated from the drive.

got it running and was running great when there is no load on the engine. you turn on the belts and it goes alittle bit and starts flooding.turn the screw on the carb for the governer and it keep it from dying but still would flood. i did get it to mow like this. also ran it out of gas. i'm going to get some fresh gas for it tommorrow. my have had some water in the tank. also going to get a new filter for it.
thanks for your help.

·
Registered
958 Posts
ok i took everything apart. started with the carb. cleaned everything up also it wasn't that dirty. i think its already been apart(my brother had it before i got it. he fixed the front end need welding.)
fixed the starter(had cracked the gear and was seperated from the drive.

got it running and was running great when there is no load on the engine. you turn on the belts and it goes alittle bit and starts flooding.turn the screw on the carb for the governer and it keep it from dying but still would flood. i did get it to mow like this. also ran it out of gas. i'm going to get some fresh gas for it tommorrow. my have had some water in the tank. also going to get a new filter for it.
thanks for your help.
Seems there could be a bit of dirt trapped under the needle valve in the carb. Remove the carb and take the bowl off. Holding the carb upside down see if the float it 100% horizontal. Remove holding pin and carefully take off float with the needle. Do this over a bench with a clean piece of cloth underneath. If (or when) you drop the pin or needle valve you wont spend the next half hour looking for the little bugger. If you can use a low pressure air line to clean the needle seat from the needle side. If you blast air from the inlet side you risk firing the needle seat right across the workshop :cry: . Clean it all thoroughly and reassemble. It should run like a dream :drinkup:
Good luck, Phil

·
Registered
973 Posts
Just as a check, you might alternately remove and ground one spark plug wire and compare how one cylinder performs vs the other. Sometimes, a weak cylinder can be the cause of your symptoms. Seems to run fine at no load, but no power.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.