19-0-3 with Prodiamine - App. Rate Q's

vencops

LawnSite Bronze Member
I am licensed. I have calibrated my spreader.

I'd like to know if it would hurt to apply at a heavier rate? How much heavier? Temps here now are typically 50's-ish. We're not irrigating, yet (still winterized systems haven't been re-charged).

My lawns don't look as green as I think they should. Of course, I could have unrealistic expectations. That's plausible. Customers haven't complained.

Thanks.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
How much nitrogen are you applying? What percent slow release? What type of grass?Southern grass types will be a bit slow to green up. What is soil temp? Is weather dry? Suppose you were worried about not enough--and you calibrated again with the goal of applying between 100 and 110 percent, because you did not want to go below labeled rate.
Your idea is sort of wasteful as the prodiamine is more costly than fertilizer. The law requires you to stay within labeled rates of course, but nobody is perfect. Most labels allow extra heavy rates if crabgrass infestation was heavy last year, or if you think you are in the deep south.

Sorry you cannot substitute fertilizer for warm temps. (Although some company's sales talks imply this. )

OP
V

vencops

LawnSite Bronze Member
Riggle. You ask a lot of question, pal.

(joking....of course)

The label reads: min. 4#/1K - Max. 8.2#/1K annually. I'm not sure how much is slow release, honestly.

I applied +/- the min. on my lawn. But, I have nearly NO crabgrass issues. The two customers I'm asking about (their lawns), do have "some" CG problems (or, they did last season).

Grass is tall fescue. Not really wanting to circumvent nature. Just curious as to why some lawns around here (fescue lawns) are REALLY green....and some aren't?? I'm assuming damage could occur (down the line) if these folks applied too heavily this fall/winter (to be where they are, currently). But, I don't know. I'm a label kinda guy, as much as I can be (+/-).

countryclublawnllc

LawnSite Member
Ven,

Unless you're in the coastal regions you are probably a month or so early with the barricade app. Assuming it's active ingredient percentage is .38 then I would think you would be fine going with 4.5 pounds of material/1000 sq.ft. this would give you about .75 lbs of ai/100 which should give you great control. As stated by Riggles you can't really push the grass until soil temps reach grass growing ranges. Rest assured! Those temps are coming soon. AMSO4 21-0-0 is a fairly cheap readily available formulation if you want to get some color going early. Make sure it gets some water to wash it off of the leaf surface.

John

OP
V

vencops

LawnSite Bronze Member
You may very well be right (early). But, if I'm early....so are a LOT of others in my shoes....lol. Everybody I know's applying, right now.

I appreciate the info., guys.

REASON18

LawnSite Member
I do not think you are early at all for our area. I use the same product and my grass is green and looking good. I went about 5# per k but I will be doing a second app in about 6-8 weeks too. I think you are fine with one app at the max rate of 8.2# if that is what you want to do.

countryclublawnllc

LawnSite Member
If soil temps are in the right range (around 55 degrees) on a consistent basis then it's time to treat! By going early you lose the control on the back end. timing properly allows you to use a lesser rate and still get great control. I see it all the time up here in MI also. The bigger companies are out in March putting it down when typically it can go down the last of April to early May. Any forsythia blooming down there? That's also a good timing indicator.

John

OP
V

vencops

LawnSite Bronze Member
I've got another fert. app. I'll do in April. I'm not sure whether I'll do the Prodiamine in there or not. My supplier's telling me it's un-necessary. I honestly don't know. I'll be doing some more research - prior to that app., for sure.

I appreciate all the help, guys.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Remember early greenup depends in part on the cultivar of grass seeded originally.Some greenup early--some late. And the fert applied last fall has an influence, (and the date at which it was applied). And the amount of slow release, and the irrigation/rain last fall.

So true! Customers hate it when they pay you to feed grass and it greens up slower than their neighbors.

KS_Grasscutter

LawnSite Gold Member
I would just apply at whatever the label rate is. For the stuff I am using it is 4lbs/1k sf. The spring greenup is a result of your winterizer app, not your spring app. Here, I like to do my last app, of 46-0-0, during the first week of December, after the grass has stopped growing but not really went dormant yet.

Mine is Dimension .28, will do a split app with the first being done the second week of march, then next will be towards mid to late April.