19/52 miniz starting issue

BaxtersEssentialLawnCare

LawnSite Senior Member
Hey guys couple of ?s

I have a miniz 19 hp kawi runs great but starting in the morning/wet is an issue. I figure its a short somewhere. Anyone no any trouble areas to look at first? Also when I checked the voltage at the starter while trying to start. I was getting around 9volts I would have expected 12 but being under load I wasn't sure. Any help would be great. Also it works fine if I wait till the mower is dry or use the blower to push any moisture out. Any thoughts on where to look would be great.

Thanks Rick

mowerconsultant

LawnSite Fanatic
How old is this unit?
Last time it had a new battery or a good full charge and battery tested under load?
You should have 12 volts and 5 amps at the starter.
Check and clean all electrical connections you can get to, such as the battery connections and ground connection.
Make sure the battery has 12 volts and 5 amps and it tests good under a load.

Pj

OP
B

BaxtersEssentialLawnCare

LawnSite Senior Member
Thanks pj the batt is new just replaced about a month ago, might need to test it tho. I keep a slow charge on it but I guess even new batts go bad I had the same issue with the old one that's why I got this one. As for the age not sure I got it used. Is there any way to tell?

OP
B

BaxtersEssentialLawnCare

LawnSite Senior Member
After spending some quality time with a volt meter and my z I'm still stumped. I checked connections the starter solnoid and I pulled the starter for a bench test. Everything checked out I think. When testing the starter it spun freely but I was thinking it would have a little more power. Is there another way to test. When starting the mower acts like it is hard to turn over, so I was thinking a voltage problem but I'm wondering if the starter isnt on the way out and is down on power.

mowerconsultant

LawnSite Fanatic
After spending some quality time with a volt meter and my z I'm still stumped. I checked connections the starter solnoid and I pulled the starter for a bench test. Everything checked out I think. When testing the starter it spun freely but I was thinking it would have a little more power. Is there another way to test. When starting the mower acts like it is hard to turn over, so I was thinking a voltage problem but I'm wondering if the starter isnt on the way out and is down on power.
Depending on how old your Mini Z is there may be a relay kit you can install to help with this issue, that is why I was wondering what your serial # is.

Pj