19 hp kawasaki fh580v

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ashs inc, Sep 18, 2019.

1. ashs inc

ashs inc LawnSite Senior Member
    from alabama

hey guys had to get the old swz scag walkbehind out to finish some yards. oil looked good havent used in a while. cranked right up mowed two lawns no problem. on the thrid was mowing along and then all of a sudden revved up super fast. like i thought i was about to blow the engine was going so fast. tried to idle down nothing. cut it off. tried to crank up again and it was doing same thing like running wide open like fast real fast. choked it down with the choke and loaded on trailer. any help would be appreciated.

2. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Carb float stuck-letting in to much fuel. Tap on the side of the carb with screwdriver handle. The trailer ride home could have jiggled it enough to get it working again.

rixtag likes this.
  3. rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

Check the governor arm, shaft and pinch bolt, spring, adjustment bolt and pivot bolt.

Breezmeister and sjessen like this.
  4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Those engines have a internal plastic governor assembly that frags. Check the linkage plate first for loose or missing parts.

sjessen likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    ashs inc

from alabama

Where is the internal governor I think that’s whats wrong the linkage and everything looks good. Cranked it up today doing same thing running way high rpm

6. flintknapper

flintknapper LawnSite Senior Member

You'll have to pull the bottom off the engine to access the internal Gov. parts. Something is wrong there.

7. OP
    OP
    ashs inc

from alabama

How difficult of a fix is this. Also is there anyone who would face time me and help maybe the linkage is messed up or I have over looked something

8. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Fanatic

It's a bit involved. Get ya a shop manual.
    Ya gotta pull motor ,then pull sump/pan. Then inspect/replace broken parts.
    Snag a parts breakdown fer it also.

9. flintknapper

flintknapper LawnSite Senior Member

You'll want to begin by inspecting the linkage and springs. It is difficult to see if everything is 'OK' by just casual observation. Most of the linkage for the Governor is behind the Throttle/Choke control plate. It could be as simple as the spring on the Gov arm having come off or broken.

The fact that it started and ran for two mowing sessions suggests the Gov. was set correctly (static and dynamic) and that something (internal or external) has come loose or broken.

If the engine is clearly running at a higher rpm than 3600 rpm (you can tell just by listening when it is too high) then without doubt it is Governor related.

IF you can see that ALL linkages and springs are in place and you can manually move the Gov arm (and carb linkage) with engine off. Then chances are.... its internal.

To access the internal parts, you will have to remove the engine and pull the bottom portion off for inspection. The Gov parts to inspect are as shown below.

Gov FH series.jpg

BigFish likes this.
  10. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Read the service manual. Personally I don't think it's a big job, taking it off the machine I think is the hardest part....
    If you are worried about the linkage, get a paint pen, I use white, and mark where everything is....And if need be, take pics

Attached Files:

BigFish likes this.