Lawn Care Forum banner

1984 C20?

3K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  KS_Grasscutter 
#1 ·
Well, I have been looking at this 1984 Chevy 3/4 ton for the last couple days, went with dad today and looked at it kinda close, we will go first thing in the AM tomorrow and test drive it and possibly make an offer on it. It is in damn good to almsot excellant condition, has 80,000 miles with NO rust AT ALL. Original paint is still near perfect. Has new tires and a break controller. They want $4900 for it, which i think is NUTS. I got approved on a loan through my bank as long as dad co-signs (which he will). Am gonna offer $4000, and if they dont take it, I'll wait till they call and do. It is an independant dealer, and the truck has been there a little while, so i think that should help my odds.

Anyway, anything to look for on it, and do you think that price is somewhat fair?

#2 ·
KS_Grasscutter said:
Well, I have been looking at this 1984 Chevy 3/4 ton for the last couple days, went with dad today and looked at it kinda close, we will go first thing in the AM tomorrow and test drive it and possibly make an offer on it. It is in damn good to almsot excellant condition, has 80,000 miles with NO rust AT ALL. Original paint is still near perfect. Has new tires and a break controller. They want $4900 for it, which i think is NUTS. I got approved on a loan through my bank as long as dad co-signs (which he will). Am gonna offer $4000, and if they dont take it, I'll wait till they call and do. It is an independant dealer, and the truck has been there a little while, so i think that should help my odds.

Anyway, anything to look for on it, and do you think that price is somewhat fair?
I don't think I'd pay more than $2000 for that truck tops.

I'd look for a newer truck if I was you.

#4 ·
$2000 would be stretching it.

Even with low miles, rubber rots, 23 years means the bushings are going to be sloppy, and the suspension soft. You'll have to drop a grand on the suspension alone to get it up to snuff. Then you've got issues like the brake lines and gaskets in the engine being dried out.

I love the '80s chevy's, but $4900 is ridiculous.

#5 ·
If its a 2wd I wouldn't look at it but if it was a 4x4 and in good shape a truck like that here would easily fetch 4000 CND (3500 US). There have been old beat up Chevy 4x4s that are not even fit for the road sold for 1500 dollars (1300 us).

Around here if its a decent 4x4 P/U that runs good you will get a good price. My first ever Ford 1 ton dually flatdeck which was a 77 2wd short wheelbase cost me 5000 dollars Canadian.

Myself if I'am buying a P/U truck it has to be a 4x4 a 2wd P/U is useless in my area you can get stuck on a
banana peal :laugh:

#6 ·
I agree with the others; find something newer. Exhaust, brakes, tires, shocks, water pump, alternator, radiator, hoses, door seals, window seals, steering, gas tank, fuel lines, windshield wiper motor, wiper pump, emissions testing, brake lines, etc. all need to be inspected. I had an old truck and I convinced myself i wouldn't mind working on it. I ended up working on it about once a week which got old really quick. Especially since mine was rusty and greasy and oily. I highly recommend something newer and fuel injected if you are going to rely on this to make money. $400 a month is $400 a month whether it's in parts and labor or if its on a payment.

#7 ·
Is it the LD (7200 GVWR) or the HD (8600 GVWR) version? Makes a big difference. I had a LD with the 305 and while it was reasonably stout it was a gutless gas guzzling pig. A full load in the bed would slow it down considerably. The HD with a 350 or 454 would be much better but even if it's as clean as you say it is it's not worth what they want for it.

#12 ·
Clean N Green said:
I think the price is reasonable. Nothing beats a classic ageless truck.
Well, at least one person agrees with me:) . I bought it, paid $4000 for it. Will get pics on here later. I really feel bad about spending that much money, but have always wanted an old chevy...now i got one. It has a lot of new stuff, like exhaust and tires. Mine is the 8?00 GVWR with the 350. The power windows kinda suck, because they are so s l o w . Might have to find a way and fix that.

Well, I gotta run so I aint late to school again, will post more (with pics) later.

#13 ·
I hope you got your money's worth. It is not about the age or the miles, but the truck itslef and how it is taken care of. Can't wait for pics.

#14 ·
FearThisDeere said:
I hope you got your money's worth. It is not about the age or the miles, but the truck itslef and how it is taken care of. Can't wait for pics.
Not one part of me thinks it is worth it... but goddamn, it is in good shape... and i LOVE that body style with the 350. I just couldnt help it:laugh: I woulda put up pics today, but it was TOOO cold for me outside. Should be up to 30 or so tomorrow, so I think I will finish cleanups and will be sure and get pics then.

#15 ·
KS_Grasscutter said:
Not one part of me thinks it is worth it... but goddamn, it is in good shape... and i LOVE that body style with the 350. I just couldnt help it:laugh: I woulda put up pics today, but it was TOOO cold for me outside. Should be up to 30 or so tomorrow, so I think I will finish cleanups and will be sure and get pics then.
I loved my '79 scottsdale. I paid $800 for the poor thing, thats just about all it was worth. If I had 4 grand to spend on one in great shape, I'd go for it. That was my most favorite truck.

#20 ·
KS_Grasscutter said:
Nope, not 4x4. Trailer is pretty light. Will have a reciever hitch on there by spring though.
Wait, what? I swear you went on and on about how it was 4 wheel drive? Thats the ONLY reason I could have justified the PRICE on that! And even 4x4 three grand would be high. $2,000 would be about tops for a 2 wheel drive. It IS in nice shape though, even though the radio only works when it feels like it, lol.

#21 ·
You paid way to much. Kelly Blue Book indicated a 1986 (closest thing to a 1984) In excellent condition is $2850. That is from the dealer. Don't get me wrong that is a sharp looking pickup. For the price they were asking it better have had new paint and a new motor thrown in.

#23 ·
Jason Rose said:
Wait, what? I swear you went on and on about how it was 4 wheel drive? Thats the ONLY reason I could have justified the PRICE on that! And even 4x4 three grand would be high. $2,000 would be about tops for a 2 wheel drive. It IS in nice shape though, even though the radio only works when it feels like it, lol.
Took the words out of my mouth.

#24 ·
Well I got to see this truck in person last night, WOW! Iv'e never seen a truck that old in that good of condition that's not been restored! No rust no where, appears to be original paint other than some bad places on the hood. Even the drivers side door has the catches that hold it open half way and full open still! Drivers seat, if it is original, which it appears to be, has always been covered and is in mint condition. This thing was babied and obviously garaged from they day it was bought. Exhaust is brand new from the headers back, tires are excellent. I just realized that I forgot to look under the hood, but I'm betting that the engine compartment is cleaner than the one on his '03 ranger, lol!

Still not really worth that much $$$, but finding a truck like this one in this condition is one in a million. Plus the fact that it's got a regular old carburator on it means that about anyone can actually work on it.

#25 ·
Look around for a deal, and don't get set on one truck. Last year i purchased a 97 Dodge 4x4 1500 with a two year old Myers Plow set E-60 pump pull off light rack, 360 with a limited slip rear good tires, 110000 miles on it great interior and i paid $5400 for the whole thing. Plow is like new all key locks nice remote control, i am very happy i looked around for a deal.

I just found a 1980 Dodge 4x4 with a dump body on it. Good plow set up solid dump body, but the cab needs some work. Asking $4900, but i would maybe offer $3500 if all the work stated is true.

Look around they are out there...

#26 ·
Jason Rose said:
Well I got to see this truck in person last night, WOW! Iv'e never seen a truck that old in that good of condition that's not been restored! No rust no where, appears to be original paint other than some bad places on the hood. Even the drivers side door has the catches that hold it open half way and full open still! Drivers seat, if it is original, which it appears to be, has always been covered and is in mint condition. This thing was babied and obviously garaged from they day it was bought. Exhaust is brand new from the headers back, tires are excellent. I just realized that I forgot to look under the hood, but I'm betting that the engine compartment is cleaner than the one on his '03 ranger, lol!

Still not really worth that much $$$, but finding a truck like this one in this condition is one in a million. Plus the fact that it's got a regular old carburator on it means that about anyone can actually work on it.
Yes, engine compartment is MUCH cleaner. I really feel bad about not having anywhere to keep it inside. May have to haul my junk back home or to grandpas, and keep the truck in the storage unit over the winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.