1986 F350 frame differences

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Psyclopse, Jan 2, 2001.

1. Psyclopse

Psyclopse LawnSite Member
    from In

I was checking out the shackle reverse kit at http://www.offroadunlimited.com. They state that they have a kit that fits (and I quote) "86.5 - 91 Ford F350 4WD." I wasn't aware that there was a difference between an 86 and an 86 1/2. Anyone care to shed some light on this?

I just bought an 86 F350 today, and I was wondering how to tell which is which. Also, they claim "This kit maybe used to convert 1980-97 2wd to 4wd with modification and additional parts available from ORU." Wonder what additional parts would be needed for something like that.

2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

86 1/2 (87) is the new "aero" look body with composite headlamps. 86 has sealed beams and eggcrate grille.

3. mikeslawncare

mikeslawncare LawnSite Member

Early 86 F-350 4x4 had the "twin-traction beam" front end like the 80-97 F-250HD 4x4. Later 86's had the bulletproof Dana 60 front axle. The Dana 60 front axle handles a snow plow much better than the IFS set-up.

4. Psyclopse

Psyclopse LawnSite Member
    from In

So, is there a difference in the actual frames, or is it just the mounts and crossmember that is different?

5. mikeslawncare

mikeslawncare LawnSite Member

To the best of my knowledge the frames are the same distance between frame rails and the same height. On my old 86 Meyer plow set-up, the same mounting kit fit the F-250 and 350's. I had this kit on a F-350 4x4 dump with the Dana 60 straight axle.