1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

1988 Chevy 3500

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by jajwrigh, Dec 21, 2006.

1. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I just bought one of these with the 7.4l 454cu engine. I have a few questions for you guys who may know. What is my approximate towing capacity? Any ideas on the horsepower/torque? Any help appreciated...this is my first full size truck.

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Your question should be how much money do you want to spend on fuel each year. The 454 has a good appetite for gas I wouldn't be surprised if the truck gets 8mpg with 10mpg being the max. The 454 is a good engine has decent power it should pull upto a 10,000lb trailer depending on gearing.

3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Horse power should be around 230 HP Torque 360 FT/LB. (TBI)
    Still digging for tow ratings.

4. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it a srw or a dually???What transmission does it have?

5. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 1992 K3500 Dually with a 5 speed and the 454. It gets about 8.5mpg, but will tow just about anything

6. jajwrigh

It has a single rear wheel with an automatic tranny. The motor was rebuilt by a professional mechanic 60k ago as well.

7. jajwrigh

Anyone know where I can find some info on this engine? How many quarts of oil does it hold? Where can I find parts for it outline? Any info appreciated..

8. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Try chevytalk.com.

9. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

You'll be good to haul about 10,000lbs with that truck. Good luck on finding parts though. I had an ac mount break on mine...after trying to find a replacement for months, I ended up having to make my own. Also, I averaged about 7mpg's with it. So, you may want to exercise good fuel saving habits with it; ie, keeping it in good tune, not allowing it to idle for too long, and definitely adding an aftermarket air filter or air charging kit. If it has a stock exhaust, go ahead and install dual flowmasters-it'll sound great and help your mileage too.