1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

1996 Gmc

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by goodbeus, Jan 22, 2004.

1. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

I'm kinda interested in a 1996 GMC 3500 quad-cab dually with a 454 cu engine...has 105,000 miles and appeared to be in very good shape...was curious if any of you guys run a truck like this, what are your comments and what kinda gas mileage to expect...If I purchase this truck, I'll be hauling a 16' trailer...also, they wanted $11,000 for it...

2. CNE

CNE LawnSite Member

First, a dually with a 454. If you are worried about gas mileage, don't buy it. Second, the price seems pretty high. I work full time as a technician at a Chevy dealer and we had a '99 crew cab 3500 dually with leather in like new shape that sold recently for $17,000.

3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

My friend has a 2000 four door 3500[not a duelie ] gets 16mpg with camper and boat[a big boat] and he does'nt drive anything slow.

4. goodbeus

Yea, but is that with a deisel or v-8 engine?

5. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

That truck is overpriced....I have a 94 4x4 with a 454, 610,000 miles. It will bring 6K tops.

Offer 8.5K and se what they say. 100,000 miles is not a worry as long as maintenance was performed properly and theoretically, you could get another 100K trouble free miles.

The tranny in that one will be a L88E, stongest electic shift tranny GM made. Still would rather have a turbo 400.

6. goodbeus

I was going to offer 8k, but my main concern is gas mileage:eek:

7. Qdriver

Qdriver LawnSite Member

Hey Goodbeus,

I am looking also. I say, people sure do want a lot of money for trucks in this area.

Just wanted to say hello and good fortune in your truck search!:)

8. goodbeus

Yea, I may just wait and pay cash for a new one...that's if my Astro will last that long:eek:

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

If your worried about fuel, don't consider it any farther. Friend has one that he pulls his 26' enclosed with race car in it. Its a pulling SOB, but he's lucky to get 6mpg at 70mph.

10. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

Quote goodbues;
    "Yea, but is that with a deisel or v-8 engine?"

454 gas